One positive aspect of the contagion

As we are not allowing any migrants to arrive  ,

Every two weeks that the coronavirus contagion is active means up to 32,000  jobs available to existing locals compared with availability last year,  so over time may usher in a new golden age of fuller employment for the existing labour force including the newly minted former dsp recipients ( With a little formal fast-tracked upskilling and toughening up )   

Message 1 of 38
Latest reply
37 REPLIES 37

considering the unemployment rate has jumped from 5% to who knows what today, what jobs would imigrants be doing if they were still arriving?

have you not noticed hundred if not thousands of businesses are closing down making the staff redundant?

if and when this crisis is over it wont be like switching a light back on.

most small businesses will never reopen, some big businesses will not reopen. even some mega businesses may go belly up yet.

no one has ever had a plan for going into hibernation.

'hey lets plan to stop trading for 6 months, see how that would work'

nope, never has happened to my knowledge'

i see huge problems restarting the economy once the green lights given.

Message 2 of 38
Latest reply

Refugee doctor keen, but unable, to join coronavirus fight

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-04-03/refugee-doctor-want-to-help-with-coronavirus/12115628

Message 3 of 38
Latest reply

Most of the unemployed are not qualified for those jobs that migrants are doing.  Most Australians are not going to cope with the farm work done by backpackers either.  There is also going to be a big problem with accommodation for farm workers; you will not be able to pack 25 people into 3 bedroom shack. 

58657613_2399609086940762_1845409381072502784_n.jpg

Message 4 of 38
Latest reply

Maybe Gary didn't want to be a Neurosurgeon.

Maybe he would have been happy as car wash attendant or a fence post digger.

Message 5 of 38
Latest reply

The one most positive aspect I see in all of this contagion:

There's much less traffic. It's a breeze to get from A to B.

Message 6 of 38
Latest reply

@icyfroth wrote:

Many countries have benefited from that too. Less pollution.

Message 7 of 38
Latest reply

@snow*jewel wrote:

@icyfroth wrote:

Many countries have benefited from that too. Less pollution.

Kind of makes you wonder if there's a plan...

Message 8 of 38
Latest reply

@*kazumi* wrote:

Most of the unemployed are not qualified for those jobs that migrants are doing.  Most Australians are not going to cope with the farm work done by backpackers either.  There is also going to be a big problem with accommodation for farm workers; you will not be able to pack 25 people into 3 bedroom shack. 

58657613_2399609086940762_1845409381072502784_n.jpg

Accommodation issue ? - if not suited to Australian citizens should not be sanctioned for foreigners  

Is a matter of supplying 2 room modular flats with varadah - the fruit picker living conditions for itinerants is often 3rd world disgraceful 

and say 4 local trogs can do the work of one gun picker - sure a quarter of the earnings but topped up with job seeker payments  without deductions during this crisis - and who knows maybe by the end such generational umemployable might surprise themselves and everyone else with an acquired fitness and skills  

Message 9 of 38
Latest reply

@davidc4430 wrote:

considering the unemployment rate has jumped from 5% to who knows what today, what jobs would imigrants be doing if they were still arriving?

have you not noticed hundred if not thousands of businesses are closing down making the staff redundant?

if and when this crisis is over it wont be like switching a light back on.

most small businesses will never reopen, some big businesses will not reopen. even some mega businesses may go belly up yet.

no one has ever had a plan for going into hibernation.

'hey lets plan to stop trading for 6 months, see how that would work'

nope, never has happened to my knowledge'

i see huge problems restarting the economy once the green lights given.

Most businesses including local shops can conduct business online if they are crafty enough in creating a clear online shop , local publicity and low cost deliveries in almost real time ( depending upon the target consumer base) 

Message 10 of 38
Latest reply