Overseas scammers sell

Overseas property scammers have struck in the ACT, selling a Macgregor woman's property without her knowledge while she was living in South Africa.

Read more: http://www.canberratimes.com.au/act-news/overseas-scammers-sell-macgregor-property-without-owners-kn...
Message 1 of 9
Latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Overseas scammers sell

kabarine
Community Member

If the owner hasn't signed any sale documents, then surely this sale isn't legal, so the new "owners" have bought nothing

Message 2 of 9
Latest reply

Overseas scammers sell

@kabarine wrote:

If the owner hasn't signed any sale documents, then surely this sale isn't legal, so the new "owners" have bought nothing

You would think so wouldnt you. I guess if title is transferred to them they are under no obligation to transfer it back.

photo screen-1-1-1-1.jpg
Message 3 of 9
Latest reply

Overseas scammers sell

I would think they would have a legal obligation to to so, as technically they don't own the house, so any "legal" documents are fraudulent, could also end up a costly court battle as well.

Message 4 of 9
Latest reply

Overseas scammers sell

Not much information there, is there?

Message 5 of 9
Latest reply

Overseas scammers sell

@azureline** wrote:

Not much information there, is there?

What more information do you want ??

Message 6 of 9
Latest reply

Overseas scammers sell

The exact details of the Macgregor scam have not been publicly released and it is not known how much the property was sold for. 

Attorney-General Simon Corbell said the government was very concerned "a scam of this magnitude may have affected residents in the ACT". 

He said the government did not anticipate publicly releasing information at present as the facts were not yet fully clear and the matter may be the subject of an investigation. 

Mr Corbell revealed documentation confirming the suspected fraudulent property sale was handed to the Office of Regulatory Services on July 11. 

He said the office was reviewing the circumstances of the sale. 

Message 7 of 9
Latest reply

Overseas scammers sell

There have been a few reported cases in WA over the last couple of years. I'm not sure exactly how the scam works, but it is very sophisticated and apparently very hard for Real Estate Agents to detect.

Message 8 of 9
Latest reply