Pancreatic Cancer

It's a long time since I've posted, but I am desperate for any help and advice.

I am 53 and in September was diagnosed with Pancreatic Cancer.  I have had a whipple procedure which took 81/2 hours of surgery, but unfortunately, they were unable to remove all the cancer as it had attached itself to an artery.  This procedure was done in November and yet I am still feeling so unwell.

I have been to see an oncologist twice and I am due to start chemo in the next week.  Both times I have seen the oncologist, I have gone home and just cried and cried, as he has given me nothing positive to hold on too.

I am absolutely devastated by my diagnosis as they have told me they can't cure me and only 1 in 5 will get through to the end of chemo treatment.  I know everyone says to stay positive, but I have been given nothing positive to hold on to and I just can't stop crying. 

If you have been through this type of cancer and procedure, please post for me, I really need to talk to people who understand what I am going through and if what I am feeling is normal.

Message 1 of 69
Latest reply
68 REPLIES 68

Pancreatic Cancer

I cant help..... just want to send good wishes and hope for a positive outcome.

photo screen-1-1-1-1.jpg
Message 2 of 69
Latest reply

Pancreatic Cancer

Mybluestang - first of all, hugs for you.

We have a friend who was diagnosed nearly 3 years ago now.  He was given 6 weeks.  His 3 daughters quickly arranged a triple wedding so their dad could give them away but he is still with us today and looking pretty good.

Last year, him and his wife travelled around Australia - he wanted to see the Kimberley's one last time and came home healthier than ever after 6 months in their caravan.

I don't know about his treatment but he has a very positive attitude.

photo 214a93fa3a9e326200857a2dbc30e730_zps379416e4.jpg
Message 3 of 69
Latest reply

Pancreatic Cancer

Hugs to you not much comfort I know but everyday that you are still on this earth is something to be cherished..don`t look to far into the future,just live for the day..imo

life is **bleep**e at times..Smiley Sad

Message 4 of 69
Latest reply

Pancreatic Cancer

I have recently gone through this with my brother, he started palliative chemo but stopped after about 3 doses because his quality of life was disrupted due to the effects of the chemo, it's a personal journey and any decisions you make in relation to your treatment is something you need to decide yourself.

Message 5 of 69
Latest reply

Pancreatic Cancer

keep fighting.never give up & it's OK to cry. I'll pray and cry with you.

Message 6 of 69
Latest reply

Pancreatic Cancer

My thoughts are with you also. Just a thought, does the Hospital / Clinic where you are being treated, have a Support Group ? Could you give Dr a call and find out if He / She could guide you in the right direction. If not, try places like Lifeline, RDNS, Support Groups, etc that may be able to put you in touch with others that are going / gone through your experience. Anywhere you may find some Support.  Hugs.

Message 7 of 69
Latest reply

Pancreatic Cancer

myblue  

I am no expert but it sounds to me like you are suffering from depression after beeing given life changing news and having invasive surgery in such a short time.

Next time you go and see the oncologist or doctor is there any family member or a friend you can take with you to help explain your feelings to the doctors.  Sometimes when you are feeling so overwhelmed it is hard to make a doctor understand how you are feeling and how you are coping and having a spokesperson with you might help.

It might also help if you contact the cancer council www.cancervic.org.au or Redkite  www.redkite.org.au as they will be able to help you with information and how to contact support groups.

My thoughts, best wishes and a big hug for you and I hope you will be able to get the help you need very soon. 

Message 8 of 69
Latest reply

Pancreatic Cancer

Being positive will go along way to help you, my cousin had pancreatic cancer & he wanted to live as long as he could, some of the treatments made him sick, but he stayed positive, as Horizon has mentioned there are support groups that will help you, you can find out about them through the hospital or google.

My cousin was 55 when he was diagnosed and after the treatments, went and did all the things he wanted to do, in his life. 

I believe his positive outlook has helped him.

On the other hand, my mother took a negative approach when she had cancer and died 6 weeks after being  told she had it.........she convinced herself there was no hope & gave up.

So stay positive and look for some support groups....

Message 9 of 69
Latest reply

Pancreatic Cancer

Purple, I couldn't  agree more with you. The "Power" of the Mind is awesome. Positive Thinking !!!! Talking with folk in the same boat may be just the thing.  Have a chat with people who are going / gone through what your going through may just be the Tonic. Have a laugh & cry and let it all out.  Easier said than done, I know, but just by doing so, it's all out there.  Grab Life by the Reins and Ride like the Wind. YOU CAN DO THIS. XXX

Message 10 of 69
Latest reply