Ripped off until the very end?

'Charging like wounded bulls': Calls for greater transparency in the funeral industry to protect vulnerable customers

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-06-06/calls-for-funeral-industry-cost-transparency/11146358

you should be able to just ask 'whats the cheapest price to dispose of my loved one?'

then start adding if you want 'extras'

nice too see south australia is cheapest 'pack em, rack em and roast em' going.

as if i care what happens when i'm dead, cut me up n feed me to the lions i dont care.

Message 1 of 7
Latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

@davidc4430 wrote:

you should be able to just ask 'whats the cheapest price to dispose of my loved one?'

then start adding if you want 'extras'

O...M...G...

Message 2 of 7
Latest reply

I PAID $7000 FOR MY HUBBIES FUNERAL AND $2000 FOR CATERING AFTER

Message 3 of 7
Latest reply

martinw-48
Community Member
They have to rip you off at the very end cause they don't get to afterwards
Message 4 of 7
Latest reply

i dont have aproblem with people paying whatever they like to say goodbye to a family member.

its freedom of choice.

just for those of us who see the funeral business as nothing more than a last grab for your money, give us the option of a no frills exit no strings attached bottom dollar price.

as i said, i'm dead, i do not care what happens to my raggedy old body.

feed me thru a mulching machine and make fertilizer out of me, i wont be caring.

i dont want anyone still living to feel i need a 'good send off'

actually i rekon everyone should be able to claim a state funeral, a very very basic 'send off'

a cremation paid for in thanks for a life of giving taxes to the state.

Message 5 of 7
Latest reply

I have told my family a cheap funeral when I'm gone is fine by me. 

Funeral establishments do have some markups though. 

Take the order of service booklets (or leaflets) with the name of the deceased and often a photo on the front and a details of the church (or whatever) service, readings, hymns etc.  The cost for this simple paper item is ludicrous, especially when on today's computers and printers when they can easily be made at home and of better quality.  Thats what we did. 

I know we also declined some 'extras' which no doubt saved some money.  We weren't worried about the cost as such but we wanted to personalise the booklet and we felt the other options were not appropriate.

I know of instances where a person has died leaving no money and families have struggled to afford a funeral.  Not all areas are serviced by cheaper funeral options.

Message 6 of 7
Latest reply