Robodebt

cezm
Community Member

Such a shame they didn't get sound advice before putting people through this trauma - bullies

The best advice we have is that raising a debt wholly or partly on the basis of ATO-averaged income is not sufficient under law, Government Services Minister Stuart Robert said.

Therefore, we will return that money and move forward with our income-compliance program.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-05-29/federal-government-refund-robodebt-scheme-repay-debts/1229941...

Message 1 of 22
Latest reply
21 REPLIES 21

Robodebt

how many millions of dollars spent wasted on a scheme that will now deliver a negative return seeing as all monies collected will now be refunded?

I am sure this will be probed in Senate Estimates.

Message 2 of 22
Latest reply

Robodebt

go-tazz
Community Member

All due to the orginal setup of having to declare your work hours in advance which off course was impossible for

most casual employees but they had to put something down so most underdeclared as that was better then to

over declare and get maybe nothing in payment and get less from working.

The simple fix was to work out the payment on what they earned the previous week but off course that was to

simple and hence the tax figures were different to what they earned.Angry head bang.gif

Message 3 of 22
Latest reply

Robodebt

And those hard done by could be waiting up to 12 months to get their money refunded.
Message 4 of 22
Latest reply

Robodebt

I hear the class action is till going ahead which is good news,,, with over 2,000 suicides caused by the illegal robodebt..  I imagine the Govt are also going to have a huge 'damages. bill to pay as well

Message 5 of 22
Latest reply

Robodebt

@go-tazz wrote:

All due to the orginal setup of having to declare your work hours in advance which off course was impossible for

most casual employees but they had to put something down so most underdeclared as that was better then to

The simple fix was to work out the payment on what they earned the previous week but off course that was to

simple and hence the tax figures were different to what they earned.Angry head bang.gif

Not completely.

A lot of it was with people who got jobs during the financial year. Those wages were averaged over the financial year, taking no account of the fact that when most recipients in that boat were receiving CL payments, they were entitled to them. Robodebt then tried to gouge back the perceived overpayments. Which weren't overpayments as the vast majority were entitled to them.

An example - somebody is unemployed for 3 months. They then get a job that pays them $75k over 9 months. Robodebt averages their income as $75k for the year, decides they weren't entitled to any or all of the income CL gave them when they were unemployed, and sends a letter of demand, with threats of dire consequences if the leaner doesn't cough up.

I doubt a large percentage were subject to your scenario - if that were the case, they would be liable to return the overpayment. That wasn't the problem with Robodebt; they were being asked to repay money they had been entitled to receive.

Message 6 of 22
Latest reply

Robodebt

@davewil1964 wrote:

@go-tazz wrote:

Not completely.

A lot of it was with people who got jobs during the financial year. Those wages were averaged over the financial year, taking no account of the fact that when most recipients in that boat were receiving CL payments, they were entitled to them. Robodebt then tried to gouge back the perceived overpayments. Which weren't overpayments as the vast majority were entitled to them.

An example - somebody is unemployed for 3 months. They then get a job that pays them $75k over 9 months. Robodebt averages their income as $75k for the year, decides they weren't entitled to any or all of the income CL gave them when they were unemployed, and sends a letter of demand, with threats of dire consequences if the leaner doesn't cough up.

I doubt a large percentage were subject to your scenario - if that were the case, they would be liable to return the overpayment. That wasn't the problem with Robodebt; they were being asked to repay money they had been entitled to receive.

The problem was that they The best advice we have is that raising a debt wholly or partly on the basis of ATO-averaged income is not sufficient under law," Government Services Minister Stuart Robert said.

More than 370,000 people were affected, with some having been issued multiple notices.

I have a Daughter and a Grand Daughter who both went through the scenario I posted and they've both

received letters about the class action and so have all their work mates most of which work in aged care and

other casual jobs as that new system was a nightmare from the start specificall set up for casuals.

Class..JPG

The close to 25% plus of the casual workforce makes up a big number in this class action as a lot of them went

through hell trying to deal with a system that just doesn't work and at the start many over stated until they

worked out that they were losing money if they worked less hours so they under stated and then Centrelink

would either stop the next payment or made them fill out that they would get more the following week which

would then leave them short and unable to pay all of their bills.

There were also plenty off times where they didn't claim any Centrelink payment for the fortnight as they worked

enough hours.

The class action runs for people that receiving some sort of Centrelink payment and worked during the years

after July 1 2010 which is just about all of the casual workforce as that was the main reason new systems were  

brought into place and Robodebt just compared what they earned and what they stated they earned without

checking actual figures stated each week so they received a debt that they didn't own.stubborn_smiley_by_mirz123-d4bt0te_zps12f1a5a3.gif

Message 7 of 22
Latest reply

Robodebt

They will apparently also be refunding any monetary costs incurred as a result of having to pay the non-debt so I guess that'll cost a bit more to work out

Message 8 of 22
Latest reply

Robodebt

i heard this discussed on ABC radio last night

and Scomo did his press conference knowing this was about to be anounced and said NOTHING

leaving it to his underling to face the music about 5 minutes later with the anouncement.

scomo, when bad news happens, he runs.

oh and they released this late on a friday so it missed most news coverages, by the time monday gets here it will be 'old' news

just like last weeks friday anouncement of that little 60 billion dollar mess.

Message 9 of 22
Latest reply

Robodebt

@cezm wrote:

They will apparently also be refunding any monetary costs incurred as a result of having to pay the non-debt so I guess that'll cost a bit more to work out

luckily they have a spare 60 billion in the bottom drawer

Message 10 of 22
Latest reply