Rolf Harris sketch's future at Port Pirie theatre?

Rolf Harris sketch's future at Port Pirie theatre still the focus of heated debate years on from conviction

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-10-17/rolf-harris-sketch-future-unknown-in-regional-south-australia...

well seems someone gave the order to paint over it before anyone could say yay or nay.

i think art is art regardless of who paints it.

would we 'paint over' the mona lisa if we discovered Leonardo da Vinci was child molester?

i'm pretty sure there are thousands of pieces of art created by some really diabolical people hanging in gallerys all over the world.

does that mean we support that artists wrong doing?

or that we are educated enough to see art even from the worst sources.

you cant paint over history.

a much better thing to do is use the artwork to educate.

Message 1 of 5
Latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

I would paint over it, if it was a painting I would burn it.

Those children dont want to be reminded of what that pervert did

Message 2 of 5
Latest reply

I reckon it shouldn't be destroyed.  Whether it should still be seen I don't know but if not, I think it could be removed and put in storage or temporarily covered over (boards, canvas etc) leaving the original art undamaged.

There is a famous sculptor and typeface designer named Eric Gill.  His private life was equally shocking yet I haven't seen a campaign to remove Gill Sans or Perpetua or any of his other typefaces from public or commercial use.

And I hate to say it but......has anyone noticed what a painting by Adolf Hitler is selling for these days?

Message 3 of 5
Latest reply

They didn't  paint over the ' little Austrian's ' watercolours.

It's History.

Message 4 of 5
Latest reply

it was only a few years ago we (well not me) were having Mark Chopper Read, everywhere, movies, on TV, he was everywhere, people couldnt get enough of this criminal!

for goodness sakes where was the outrage?

this guy did terrible things.

there is prolly art he created being flogged off around the place too.

Message 5 of 5
Latest reply