Sharks And Dolphins

The Shark vs Dolphin Thinking program poses questions to students and asks them to answer based on the different perspectives of Dolphins and Sharks.

I was really intrigued by this concept and the more I thought about it the more I realised just how many areas  it opens up for discussion - apart from the obvious ones regarding the place of both species in the food chain and in the ecology of our planet.

One example: if given the option I suspect an overwhelming majority of girls would choose to be ‘dolphins’ whereas for boys (particularly older boys). the split would probably be closer to 50/50. What does this tell us about the way girls and boys see themselves and the world around them?

Another example: sharks and dolphins are both predators – they eat other living creatures. Why then do humans generally see dolphins as kind and gentle and sharks as cruel and brutal? Is it because 1) dolphins, like us, are social animals, 2) because dolphins don’t eat us and 3) because dolphins are more intelligent (by human standards) than sharks.

Message 1 of 21
Latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

Sharks And Dolphins

ecar3483
Community Member

It's also a way of teaching critical thinking - seeing things from more than just one perspective.

🙂

Message 2 of 21
Latest reply

Sharks And Dolphins

2) and 3)

Message 3 of 21
Latest reply

Sharks And Dolphins

@the_great_she_elephant wrote:

The Shark vs Dolphin Thinking program poses questions to students and asks them to answer based on the different perspectives of Dolphins and Sharks.

I was really intrigued by this concept and the more I thought about it the more I realised just how many areas  it opens up for discussion - apart from the obvious ones regarding the place of both species in the food chain and in the ecology of our planet.

One example: if given the option I suspect an overwhelming majority of girls would choose to be ‘dolphins’ whereas for boys (particularly older boys). the split would probably be closer to 50/50. What does this tell us about the way girls and boys see themselves and the world around them?

Another example: sharks and dolphins are both predators – they eat other living creatures. Why then do humans generally see dolphins as kind and gentle and sharks as cruel and brutal? Is it because 1) dolphins, like us, are social animals, 2) because dolphins don’t eat us and 3) because dolphins are more intelligent (by human standards) than sharks.

Could be because we see dolphins (and whales) as mammals - warm blooded and air breathing and therefore having something in common with us.  Sharks are cold blooded  and stay under water to breathe.

Message 4 of 21
Latest reply

Sharks And Dolphins

@the_great_she_elephant wrote:

2) because dolphins don’t eat us

Message 5 of 21
Latest reply

Sharks And Dolphins

I'm with 2&3 - cause sharks have really good dental work.

Message 6 of 21
Latest reply

Sharks And Dolphins

@domino-710 wrote:

....but dolphins have better smiles  😉

Dolphin.jpg          shark.jpg

Message 7 of 21
Latest reply

Sharks And Dolphins

@ambercat16 wrote:

@domino-710 wrote:

....but dolphins have better smiles  😉

Dolphin.jpg          shark.jpg

Hope you're proud of yourself, She-el Woman LOL

Message 8 of 21
Latest reply

Sharks And Dolphins

Icyfroth wrote; Hope you're proud of yourself, She-el Woman LOL

Should I be? I hadn't realised  that starting a thread on a topic I found interesting was supposed to be a cause of self-congratulation?

Message 9 of 21
Latest reply

Sharks And Dolphins

shark1.jpg  Dolphin.jpg

Message 10 of 21
Latest reply