Should we withdraw aid from Indonesia?

Apparently we've withdrawn our ambassador, should we also withdraw aid?

My husband says we should redirect the money to try and curb our growing ice epidemic in Australia...good point I suppose.

I dont think the execution of prisoners is a reason to withdraw aid, but I think there needs to be a good long look at where the aid is going to due to the high levels of corruption in the country. Is the aid actually reaching those that need it? If so, then we probably shouldnt withdraw it. But if its just lining the pockets of corrupt politicians, then we probably should.

I'm guessing there will at least be a hefty reduction in aid in the next budget anyway.

photo screen-1-1-1-1.jpg
Message 1 of 58
Latest reply
57 REPLIES 57

Even though most of me says "yes" part of me says "no". I have too many conflicting emotions at the moment to make a clear and impartial choice.

The Indonesian government does need to be held to account, though, and not just for its barbaric death penalty It is corrupt and has been  for decades. I bet that the Ambassador will return to Indonesia with a month or so and all will be as it was before.

"There is nothing more; but I want nothing more." Christopher Hitchins
Message 2 of 58
Latest reply

I think that there will be far reaching consequences of this barbaric act and with holding aid might jeopardise exports. I doubt that it will happen.

Message 3 of 58
Latest reply

how much of the aid gets swallowed up by corruption?

50%? 90%?

i think it's pointless to throw money at corrupt bureaucrats.

Message 4 of 58
Latest reply

@azureline** wrote:

I think that there will be far reaching consequences of this barbaric act and with holding aid might jeopardise exports. I doubt that it will happen.

That is a concern for me. If we substantially withdraw aid we could get into a **bleep** for tat war of taking things away from each other and we would probably end up the bigger losers.

photo screen-1-1-1-1.jpg
Message 5 of 58
Latest reply

I think yes, or we should at least  halve it..   to make a statement.  We don't even know what they use the funding for.. it certainly isn't used to help the poor. Our Govt says it is to ensure that JI don't take over schools.

we all know that some of the past Indonesian presidents became very wealthy men

Message 6 of 58
Latest reply

@lal-au0 wrote:

how much of the aid gets swallowed up by corruption?

50%? 90%?

i think it's pointless to throw money at corrupt bureaucrats.

Is there any way to know? Does the money go to the Indonesian government or does it go to aid agencies?

photo screen-1-1-1-1.jpg
Message 7 of 58
Latest reply

Maybe we need to spend some of it on an in depth inquiry as to where the money actually ends up. Not just in Indonesia, but in other countries too.

photo screen-1-1-1-1.jpg
Message 8 of 58
Latest reply

maybe send our people to help people there directly.

Message 9 of 58
Latest reply

That's what I was wondering about Lal.  Why not fund organisations like Red Cross, Medicines sans Frontiers, World Vision, all those organisations and if the country needing aid wouldn't let them move in and distribute the aid then too bad, they don't get it.  That is probably not as simple as it sounds.

Joono
Message 10 of 58
Latest reply