Shouldn't happen in Australia

martinw-48
Community Member
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-05-28/platypus-euthanased-hair-tie-stuck-around-neck-bright-victori...

It's a pity those that don't do the right thing with their rubbish never get it stuck around their necks to kill them slowly
Message 1 of 4
Latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

That's a sad story. I am amazed the poor platypus was entangled with not just one, but 3 hair ties!

I wouldn't think of them as the usual sort of thing to become litter. Most people would put them in a bin, you would think. Or keep them in their hair.

I blame a lot of litter and waste on the way modern society works, with just about everything we own made to be tossed, not repaired or re-used.And a lot of things grossly over packaged. I don't know about anyone else, but I have bought a few things where I have had a lot of trouble to even open the packaging to get at what I bought.

Message 2 of 4
Latest reply

Part of the problem is, too much disposable, one-time-use, non-bio-degradable items are being manufactured and sold so cheaply, the consumer doesn't value them.

The amount of rubbish generated is phenomenal, Deadly and destructive, as seen in Martini's link.

Not just in disposal to wildlife and nature, but in manufacture eg, pollutants and chemicals used which contaminate the environment.

Environmentalists should look at curbing the production of sinlge-use plastics and other non-reusable items, which would also help in reducing carbon emissions generated in manufacture.

Message 3 of 4
Latest reply

often its kids in strollers pull em out and drop em and mum never notices.

i see them a lot on paths along the beach

Message 4 of 4
Latest reply