Sidecar racing going strong

Sidecar racing going strong despite limited coverage in Australia

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-04-30/sidecar-racing-going-strong-despite-niche-status/9711528

when i was a teenager my brother was the australian junior sidecar champion rider, he had a good friend crazy enuff to hang on the side to help win that title.

one day we were at the local practice track when the 'passenger' friend couldnt make it.

so someone said 'hey dave, why dont you have a go?'

and i was stupid enuff to say "ok" LOL

it lasted about  half a lap before we went A over T. that was enuff for me!

i'm pretty sure that was the last time i rode on a motorcycle.

yep, riding sidecars you need to be a certain kind of crazy!

Message 1 of 3
Latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

A friend of my fathers raced a sidecar, and asked me if would ride the outfit. I was quite young, perhaps 16.

I was game enough to have a go, but my father didn't want any part of it, and made it very clear to me that he

would not support me, and if I did, he would be extremely disappointed with me.  

I didn't want to cause bad blood between us and thought it best to abide by his wishes.

Looking back, I think my dad was right, even though at the time I felt I had my own life to lead, and that having a go

on it would have been an experience.

I rode road bikes,  off and on for years. Wife & I would celebrate our wedding anniversary by heading off for the weekend

on a bike.That all stopped almost 9 years ago when we got a knock on the door one afternoon from the police to give us

the shattering news that a family member was involved in a fatality on their bike. My wife never wanted to be on a bike again, 

and we have not rode since. 

Message 2 of 3
Latest reply

My OH used to ride outfits at Sydney Showground many years ago. After hearing somseof his stories I am frankly amazed he survived to tell the tales. A  friends who rode passenger for him a few times went by the nickname of 'Autumn Leaves'. three guesses why.Smiley LOL

Message 3 of 3
Latest reply