Snowy Mountain Brumby Cull

Ninety per cent of the Snowy Mountains brumbies would be culled over the next two decades, under a plan released by the New South Wales government.

The draft wild horse management plan for Kosciuszko national park aims to cut the population of wild horses in the park from 6,000 to about 3,000 in the next five to 10 years.

The population would be dramatically slashed to just 600 within 20 years, confining the wild horses to three locations inside the national park.

Current numbers of wild horses were unsustainable and the animals were damaging the park’s fragile alpine and subalpine landscapes, the NSW environment minister, Mark Speakman, said.

Possible measures to slash the population include trapping, ground shooting, fertility control, rehoming and mustering.

Entire Article Here

I hope they do it in a humane way, like fertility control. Shooting thousands of them the from the ground or helicopter is just too awful to contemplate

Message 1 of 6
Latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Herpes.... I heard they are introducing  whores Horse herpes.....  apparently they are going to feed them on the Murray Carp

and kill two birds with one stone

atheism is a non prophet organization
Message 2 of 6
Latest reply

Well that would be a good way to mitigate the stench of rot one way or another, I suppose.

Message 3 of 6
Latest reply

some times for the greater good the unthinkable or the unpleasant has to become the reality,  this is the case here to protect the ecological balance it must happen , if the Eco system collapses the death of the horses would be far more slow and painful as starvation would be the result of an eco collapse and the worst part is it would take not just the horses but also native plants and animals along with it.

i am just thankful that we have people who are able to take this unpleasant task on and that ilinformed do Gooders with no idea other than there idealistic clap trap stay out of the way and let the job get done

Photobucket
Message 4 of 6
Latest reply

Spot on, Kilroy - though I think it's more snetimentality than misplaced idealism.

I love foxes. They are beautiful, inteligent creatures and it makes me very sad that they have to be killed - but I understand why it is necessary and would never dream of campaigning against their eradication

Message 5 of 6
Latest reply

After months of speculation, the Baird government has finally released its Biodiversity Conservation Bill for an eight-week public consultation period.
This Bill is nothing short of a disaster and will allow big agribusiness and developers to trash wildlife habitat across NSW.

Hypocrisy?
Message 6 of 6
Latest reply