Student placements costing Students

So OH was telling me today that a local community government funded organisation is trying to charge students 35.00 a day to do a student placement.  Most people simply wouldn't be able to afford that. Seems to defeat the purpose.  What do you think?

Message 1 of 8
Latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

@bella_again wrote:

So OH was telling me today that a local community government funded organisation is trying to charge students 35.00 a day to do a student placement.  Most people simply wouldn't be able to afford that. Seems to defeat the purpose.  What do you think?

Wow, that's one way to increase your profits or avoid student placements.

Message 2 of 8
Latest reply

Is that legal, bella? You would think if an org, can't afford to take student's on placements they would just not offer any.
Message 3 of 8
Latest reply

I was wondering if the orgs funding is tied to the charging?

Message 4 of 8
Latest reply

Pardon me......please.......but what is students placements?

DEB

Message 5 of 8
Latest reply

Yes, could be linked to cuts in funding.

Message 6 of 8
Latest reply

I'm wondering if it is legal but the worry is that other organisations will follow the same trend in the area meaning Tafe and uni students won't be able to easily obtain the necessary placements to pass courses.

Message 7 of 8
Latest reply

Ok I've done a little research I obviously can't name the organisation but it appears it is a non - government not for profit organisation that receives government funding and has government services operating out of it.  I think I've got that correctly.  So I am wondering if maybe lobbying the local member over this might be the way to go?

There could be really legitimate reasons for their course of action but it will stop many people from completing courses esp if they are on unemployment/austudy etc or come from low income families.  So this is a trend that needs to be stopped in its tracks.

Message 8 of 8
Latest reply