The First Fleet was THE defining moment in Australias history?

Another defining moment in Tony Abbotts foot in mouth  problem.

And before you all go off about it, yes I agree is was ONE of many defining moments in our countries history. But it ceratinly wasn't the most critical event to occur over the last 100,000 or even in the last 250 years.

I don't understand why he continues to marginalise people with dumb statements that any nitwit would understand to be offensive and divisive?

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/tony-abbott-under-fire-for-calling-first-fleet...

Message 1 of 66
Latest reply
65 REPLIES 65

He also mentioned the australian newspaper?????????????? I would love to hear the reasoning behind that one. It will be a defining moment when we kick these fools out. 

Tony Abbott has nominated the arrival of the first fleet, along with the launch of Rupert Murdoch’s Australian newspaper and the publication of The Lucky Country, as defining moments in the nation’s history. 

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/aug/29/tony-abbott-says-first-fleet-arrival-is-the-defining-mo...

Message 2 of 66
Latest reply

Can someone plug the wine cask into my vein, please?
Message 3 of 66
Latest reply

Capt. AbbittsMissing:

Message 4 of 66
Latest reply

I think the day that the first troop ship set sail for Europe in 1915 was Australia's defining moment.  That's when a motley group of semi-autonomous states became a nation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFCekeoSTwg

Message 5 of 66
Latest reply

Arounf 60 thousand years out there. as for being defined by a spat between europes royal families i'd like to think we are better than that.

Message 6 of 66
Latest reply

It wasn't the spat that defined the nation, it was her people's response to the call to arms.

Message 7 of 66
Latest reply

@this-one-time-at-bandcamp wrote:

It wasn't the spat that defined the nation, it was her people's response to the call to arms.

And according to les Carlyon  who wrote two magnificent histories on Australia's involvement in WWl, it wasn't any grand notion od Australian nationhood that drove them all to enlist, but an outpouring of colonialist  loyalty to the Mother Country

Message 8 of 66
Latest reply

Not a mention of federation, which was a defining moment in that the states became the country.

Message 9 of 66
Latest reply

It is the most defining moment in this counties history , it changed this country every thing that happened since then both hood and bad happened due to it , so take your one eyed glasses off and see that is a very true statement
Photobucket
Message 10 of 66
Latest reply