The Hakarena

moonflyte
Community Member

The Hakarena,

A new war dance for /england designed to strike fear into the hearts of the All Blacks.....not

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlHS_Mn7nWE&feature=youtu.be

Message 1 of 9
Latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

The Hakarena

LOL
Message 2 of 9
Latest reply

The Hakarena

If they played against the all blacks they would probably

Win because the oposition wouldn't be able to stop laughing

Message 3 of 9
Latest reply

The Hakarena

@opmania wrote:

If they played against the all blacks they would probably

Win because the oposition wouldn't be able to stop laughing

' Simply the Best '

Sometimes ( most times ) have to hand it to the Brits for humour.

Message 4 of 9
Latest reply

The Hakarena

[replying to no one in particular]

As a Kiwi, I'm afraid I find it enormously disrespectful.  The Haka is not a "dance", it's not an "entertainment".  It is an important part of Maori and therefore New Zealand culture and, in my view, not to be ridiculed, which is what I think the video is doing.

The New Zealanders that I have spoken to about it over the past few days are really saddened by this send up of their nations culture in the pursuit of cheap laughs.

Message 5 of 9
Latest reply

The Hakarena

If the haka is too sacred to be used for commercial money making they shouldn't do it for sports games. if it's so sacred it should be preserved and used only when making war on an enemy tribe (which isn't going to happen any time soon).

i love the haka, i think it's great fun to watchand i appreciate the all blacks cashing in on it.

i hate sport but their haka makes my day every time i see it.

if you want to go down the "disrespectful, i feel offended path" just remember that the all blacks seem to be fine to do the haka for moneys sake.

Message 6 of 9
Latest reply

The Hakarena

@lurker172602 wrote:

[replying to no one in particular]

As a Kiwi, I'm afraid I find it enormously disrespectful.  The Haka is not a "dance", it's not an "entertainment".  It is an important part of Maori and therefore New Zealand culture and, in my view, not to be ridiculed, which is what I think the video is doing.

The New Zealanders that I have spoken to about it over the past few days are really saddened by this send up of their nations culture in the pursuit of cheap laughs.

I respectfully disagree.  I think it's hilarious.  Typical of us Poms, always having a laugh.  

Joono
Message 7 of 9
Latest reply

The Hakarena

Did I say it shouldn't be used anywhere?  I just don't think anyone's culture should be ridiculed or used in this way.  I think cultural icons should never be a source of "comedy"

And with my apologies Joono, to me it smacks of colonialism.

Anyway, I'm not going to get into a huge debate over it.   I've stated how I, and the fellow Kiwis I have spoken to, feel about it.  Others are obviously perfectly entitled to have their own take on it.

Message 8 of 9
Latest reply

The Hakarena

moonflyte
Community Member

Many many cultural and popular things are used to make a lighthearted joke. We all saw the wardance of Goodes and most of us liked it, including me, but many hopped on the outrage bus. We all love the goanna crawl by that other player too.

I love the Haka and it has been used for years at sporting events to intimidate the opponents and most if not all of the public love it.

It's not the first time a send up of something has been done, no outrage here, and smacks of colonialism, really!

Message 9 of 9
Latest reply