The future of coal has been decided

The future of coal has already been decided in boardrooms around the globe

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-01-28/why-finance-is-fleeing-fossil-fuels/11903928

Message 1 of 38
Latest reply
37 REPLIES 37

my view

every home should have solar panels and a battery

the govt should be doing all in its power to get this done to ease the burden on our ageing coal generators before they are decomissioned

the govt should also be promoting solar and wind generation as the future until something better comes along

if it ever does

i have solar i dont have a battery but if i had the cash id get one

Message 2 of 38
Latest reply

If we don't have water, the point will be moot.

In my view, every home should have a rainwater tank and only rely on town water when necessary.

Every home should have a water recycling system to capture and filter grey water.

Message 3 of 38
Latest reply

@icyfroth wrote:

In my view, every home should have a rainwater tank and only rely on town water when necessary.

Every home should have a water recycling system to capture and filter grey water.

And who is going to pay for all these tanks? Cause they arent cheap to buy

Message 4 of 38
Latest reply

Which is a better option residential solar or utility scale solar farms. Large scale always works out cheaper and is more efficient but still requires you to pay for electricity. Solar farms can be installed in areas not effected by hail storms so not sure if every house having panels would be the answer.

Message 5 of 38
Latest reply

Water tanks and pumps are quite cheap the labour cost if you cannot do it yourself can be expensive.

Message 6 of 38
Latest reply

i personally like the idea of having my own system where 90% of the time what i dont use feeds into the grid for others to use

in the event of the main grid failing, which is happening more and more as it ages, i could switch over to my own system whilst the fix the grid.

i'm sure the smart bods could dream up an automatic switching thing.

thats where although huge solar farms sound great they require poles and wires to get the power into the grid and new poles and wire costs a lot i suspect.

like i said, the grid now is full of ageing poles and wire

i know right now batteries for houses are expensive, i'm not sure how big you would need to have power 24/7 without using the grid

me prolly not so big but a home with 4 kids it would be huge.

but battery technology is experiencing rapid growth and who knows what batteries will be in 5 or 10 years from now

my point is lets use what we have now, get homes to be helping out whilst the big guys get their act together

they still want our mothly payments i'm sure.

Message 7 of 38
Latest reply

@icyfroth wrote:

the former south australian labor govt made it law every new home had to have a rainwater tank

the liberal govt scrapped it to make homes cheaper

i would love to have a big water tank but have no where to put one, i see no point in spending a lot of money to put in a 1,000 litre tank

Message 8 of 38
Latest reply

every home should have a rainwater tank and only rely on town water when necessary

This time last week I was in Sydney.  They had 5 days straight where it rained.  Would easily have filled a tank.  Not sure tank water would get used on anything other than the garden/lawn though.  There is the issue of suitability for drinking due to contamination from bird droppings and other stuff on the roof . . . and unless a pump is fitted there would be little to no pressure to speak of.

But, I don’t live in Sydney.  I live in Mildura where the average rainfall each year is around 300mm.  However, in the last two years we have had 135mm and 116mm rainfall . . . the lowest consecutive year total on record.  On a 20 square (200m²) dwelling that would mean collection of just 50,000 litres in 2 years.

Spoiler
B8A6F9BA-EBCA-448E-A0B9-FE341BF43091.jpeg

I think that most households around here would rely on town water all year round for household water needs.  Not sure about Sydney water use and needs.  Maybe you, icy, can do some figures for us so we can know how much rainwater would be collected from a typical Sydney house roof each year based on average rainfall(?)

We do that here . . . because we are on a septic system.  You can easily see where our septic drains are as they usually show as ‘cricket pitches’ in our yard on google maps!  Not all houses in Mildura are on septic (we aren’t that backward), only those in outlying sparsely populated areas.

icy, would the ‘captured’ grey water be stored in a tank? What filtration system would you recommend? Would the filtered grey water be useful only for gardens or would you suggest hooking up house toilets to the system?

Do you have a grey water filtration system on your house?

Message 9 of 38
Latest reply

@eol-products wrote:

Water tanks and pumps are quite cheap the labour cost if you cannot do it yourself can be expensive.

not to mention the cost if you need to run electricity to the tank so you can plug in the pump.

Message 10 of 38
Latest reply