Thinking about the costs of extra quarantine units

Surely to deal with any immediate unavoidable surge in refugee expats fleeing overseas pandemic  emergency units could be provided by low cost prefabricated modular unit rooms built off site in the cities and assembled onsite , being effeciently tranported in parts

Cheaper ordered by the thousand .

They are off the shelf and easily custom designed to include all expected creature comforts with high insulation , high strength properties

Often observe office versions on construction sites and i imagine far less in total cost to source and install than the current quoted $400 K per unit for new units , and would not take until the end of the year to impliment

Just a discussion not an insurrection 

Message 1 of 2
Latest reply
1 REPLY 1

Thinking about the costs of extra quarantine units

Yes I would agree.

I saw a photo of what they have up in Darwin and to me, it reminded me strongly of a series of portable classrooms with a covered walkway between.

The beauty of that is the open air between units and each unit a separate entity.

We are talking about a 14 day stay in quarantine. We don't need 5 star hotels. We need comfortable, basic accommodation with ensuite facilities.

The experts could get together, build up a list of must haves and see if any of the pre fab constructions could fit the bill with a bit of tweaking.

I feel we should be looking beyond covid and these centres (located out of main cities) could be used for other purposes once covid has passed and swung back into service if we have some other emergency eg flood, another pandemic etc

Message 2 of 2
Latest reply