Truth hurts

martinw-48
Community Member
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-06-03/ato-whistleblower-facing-prison-says-he-almost-died-from-stre...

I blew the whistle on my union years ago and lost my job.
I'd do it again and death or gaol wouldn't stop me
Message 1 of 3
Latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

Truth hurts

I think it is a hard case as from what I can make out, the charges are more about him disclosing confidential taxpayer information, tax file numbers and bugging people's phones to record private conversations.

I wouldn't like my private tax details splashed out in public and I don't think many people would. It probably lays the Tax office open to being sued by multiple people. The people being exposed are people who were or are in debt and they may not want everyone to know that, it could affect their business if they have one and so on.

On the other hand, I am stunned that he could face a 161 year sentence, when the worst of our mass murderers seem to be able to scream enough and ask for reassessment after 20 or so years.

Message 2 of 3
Latest reply

Truth hurts

@springyzone wrote:  The ASO

I think it is a hard case as from what I can make out, the charges are more about him disclosing confidential taxpayer information, tax file numbers and bugging people's phones to record private conversations.

That's assuming the charges are correct, and I have my doubts.  The ATO denied there was any corruption....and that has been proved wrong.  Either they didn't try very hard or they were prepared to cover it up.  It's easier to shoot the messenger and hope it goes away.  Too bad for them it hasn't worked.

He was very brave to raise the issue through the government's departmental whistleblower scheme.  Despite the fine words, glossy brochures and even fridge magnets with the contact numbers, old habits die hard and as usual they threw the book at him.

That's what happened in the past and it seems nothing has changed.  You have to be VERY brave, or very foolhardy with nothing to lose, to speak out despite all those reassuring promises from the whistleblower scheme.

Message 3 of 3
Latest reply