Turnbull dismisses WA GST anger as existing in a 'parallel universe'

Malcolm Turnbull dismisses WA GST anger as existing in a 'parallel universe'

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-08-03/snipes-turn-to-smiles-as-pm-and-wa-premier-gst-war/8770868

oh malcolm, are you really this stupid?

why wouldnt WA be crying foul over a system that delivers such poor returns to them for what they contribute.

BTW during your election campaign didnt you kinda promise to fix it? anything for those votes huh?

yes its a difficult problem, to change it would mean other states giving up some of their GST and they dont want to do that.

But this is why you wanted to be PM isnt it, to fix all labors stuff ups (yeah i know labor didnt introduce the GST or how it was carved up but everything is labors fault isnt it?) so stop looking silly and fix it!

lately its looking like if you live left of the eastern states you arnt part of team australia these days.

until theres another election

Message 1 of 4
Latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

The Federal Government (i.e, Turnbull, who you seem to think is to blame for the problem) cannot change the GST without the agreement of the states.....and the chances of any agreement from states who might be worse off is pretty remote.

Message 2 of 4
Latest reply

i did say it wasnt an easy problem to fix but malcolm did tell the voters of WA if they trusted him hed fix it. i'm sure he prolly had an 'out' clause in there somewhere.

maybe he thought he would lose the election and wouldnt get asked 'we'll where is the fix?'

Message 3 of 4
Latest reply

Well, one good thing has come out of this GST thing.  I haven't met anyone in WA who does think it is OK at things are at the moment - in this we all seem to be united. 

I saw someone else describe WA's share of the GST it gets back after forwarding it to the Federal government as charging the eastern states $1.00 for gas and then giving them 34c worth for that dollar.  That makes it more understandable what the big whinge is about. 

Nice to see you back on the boards David.  I hardly ever come on here but I do browse from time to time. 

Message 4 of 4
Latest reply