marwi_3023
Community Member
16 REPLIES 16

Unbelievable

Image result for jokes about shoulders

Message 2 of 17
Latest reply

Unbelievable

The top is perfectly decent (by Australian standards).

But I think the trouble is, the rule is there needs to be some kind of jacket.

I had not realised that till i read the article. It said several men had been asked to leave at various times too if they rushed in with just a shirt & tie, no jacket.

Now, to me a shirt & tie & good trousers is perfectly acceptable too.

But the thing with rules is, if you have them then you logically need to enforce them, otherwise everyone will just ignore them more & more & when you do eventually pull up someone for it, that person will say "But so and so did it and they didn't get into trouble!"

So if you have a rule, you need to enforce it & need to enforce it on everyone, without fear or favour, unless there are extenuating circumstances (such as broken down air con, as they mentioned).

I think there definitelty do need to be guidelines on dress in Parliament House. The more serious a job is, usually the more stringent the dress code will be.

So while the current rules are in place.. she should have worn a jacket.

Message 3 of 17
Latest reply

Unbelievable

marwi_3023
Community Member
Females don't have to wear a jacket.
If it had a full sleeve it would have been OK.
Problem was it had a half sleeve.
Rules are there for a reason.
I wouldn't wear a tie now even if it meant going to gaol or the death sentence.
I don't own a suit and refuse to wear one.
They say clothes maketh the man but not in my opinion.
I know a woman beating pile of s... in town.
Every time he goes to court he has a fancy suit on.
He is still a pile of s...
Message 4 of 17
Latest reply

Unbelievable

bishop.jpg

Wonder if Julie was asked to cover up or leave?    lol

Message 5 of 17
Latest reply

Unbelievable

Obviously she should have been, if things were even handed. perhaps a different person was on duty that day.

There shouldn't be any favouritism.

Have to add a disclaimer. I don't necessarily think a person in a suit or jacket is any better than anyone else & it absolutely is no indication of intelligence or integrity. Or ability.

But there are certain levels of dress that are expected in different positions. I used to work in a school & our prin would not have turned up for work in anything else other than suit/tie/jacket as in his position he had to attend a lot of meetings with the department, peers, parents etc

On the other hand, our sports teacher wore sports clothes and gym shoes every day.

I remember there was a dress code for us too. No shoe string straps or shoes that resembled a thong, no matter how expensive they may have been.

The prin wanted to make it no sandals of any kind-no footwear that showed a toe for females but we overruled him on that one and convinced him that a solid sandal was acceptable. Well, maybe not convinced him but he gave in to the majority vote.

Dress codes change over time.

Message 6 of 17
Latest reply

Unbelievable

Time to move into the 21st century  ...... 

Message 7 of 17
Latest reply

Unbelievable

its a joke, that our government still has this kind of shyte going on.

of course its double standards, i rekon the media could find dozens of examples of female MPs with bare shouldes in parliment in very quick time.

after all, those women sitting behind the PM or the opposition leader dress to be noticed!

and of course its more bad publicity for a govt trying to look good.

Message 8 of 17
Latest reply

Unbelievable

of course there are some men in the parliment who would find the sight of naked shoulders too stimulating and would get uncomfortable stirings in ...(well we can imagine) 

i'm pretty sure thats what led to barnys romp in the hay with his secretary.

and look at the trouble that led to!

yup, better start making the ladys ware burkas to avoid problems.

Message 9 of 17
Latest reply

Unbelievable

marwi_3023
Community Member
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-12-04/patricia-karvelas-should-not-have-been-removed-question-time/...

Probably only because someone pointed out the obvious hypocrisy in regards to the Julie Bishop outfit
Message 10 of 17
Latest reply