Victim not allowed to know where paroled attacker lives to protect his privacy :(

http://www.news.com.au/national-news/victoria/victim-not-allowed-to-know-where-paroled-attacker-live...

inShare

Domestic vioence victim

Domestic vioence victim Jeannie Blackburn is lobbying the government to release information regarding the whereabouts of violent criminals who have been released on parole.

A VICTIM of terrifying domestic violence has been told she is not allowed to know the area where her paroled attacker is living because of HIS right to privacy.

Jeannie Blackburn suffered 18-months of unprovoked violent abuse at the hands of Paul Francis McCuskey, culminating in her losing sight in one eye after he dragged her from her bed and stomped on her head.

Medical experts said her injuries were similar to that of a high impact car crash.

McCuskey was released from prison in April - with two and a half years to serve on parole - but pleas to the Adult Parole Board and Victims of Crime Register to know the area where he is living have been denied.

In a bizarre twist, McCuskey has been informed of where Ms Blackburn lives, as he is not allowed to go near her address.

"I don't want to know what street or even what suburb he is in, but just a general area to avoid for my own protection." Ms Blackburn said.

"I am being made to feel like a prisoner in my own home while he is free to walk the streets as he pleases.

"Why does he have more rights than I do, when I have done nothing wrong?"

domestic violence

Paul Francis McCuskey who is on parole for domestic violence against his ex-partner Jeannine Blackburn, who is fighting to know where her attacker is now living.

The woman beater also caused Ms Blackburn to miscarry after kicking her in the stomach in another sickening attack.

McCuskey, who received a bravery award for being one of several CFA volunteers who rescued an elderly woman at Cambarville during the 2009 Black Saturday bush fires, later had the honour stripped after intervention from the Governor General of Australia, Quentin Bryce.

He was sentenced to five years and six months in prison, with a minimum of three years, in April 2010.

Ms Blackburn said she contacted the Adult Parole Board to find out the general area of where he was living after his release on April 27 this year.

She claims she was told they could not tell her due to his right to privacy. The allegation is denied by the Adult Parole Board.

Ms Blackburn said she then contacted the Victims of Crime Register and wrote a letter requesting the information early last month without reply.

Domestic vioence victim

Domestic vioence victim Jeannie Blackburn is lobbying the government to release information regarding the whereabouts of violent criminals who have been released on parole.

Its website states: "Inclusion on the Register does not entitle you to information about… Where the prisoner / offender lives or intends

to live upon release from prison."

Ms Blackburn now intends to lobby the State Government to change the law.

"He lost his privacy rights when he pleaded guilty to intentionally, recklessly and seriously injuring me, at least while on parole" she said.

"Laws should be in place to protect the innocent, not the guilty."

A spokesman for the Adult Parole Board said McCuskey is subject to a "strict supervision regime."

"If Mr McCuskey fails to comply with any condition of his order, he will be immediately reported to the Board," he said.

jon.kaila@news.com.au

Read more: http://www.heraldsun.com.au/national-news/victoria/victim-not-allowed-to-know-where-paroled-attacker...

Message 1 of 99
Latest reply
98 REPLIES 98

Victim not allowed to know where paroled attacker lives to protect his privacy :(

that sucks.. it reminds me that we are not allowed to know who is a paedophile yet we can know who is a murderer. 

Considering that many murders are just a one off brain explosion and the offender will not relapse yet a paedophile usually attacks 65 times before they are caught and do not have good chances of rehabilitation I think our system is flawed. 

I hope that the lady gets to know exactly where he lives.. and soon. He could easily find her I am sure. 

Message 2 of 99
Latest reply

The power of social media is a good start when the system fails

Message 3 of 99
Latest reply

But why does she need to know? He's done his time so there is no reason for the information to be divulged.

Message 4 of 99
Latest reply

He has done 3 of his 5 1/2 years. She is still blind in one eye and traumatised. She can't change her name and move elsewhere without him being kept up to date. She is totally vulnerable. I'd want to be kept updated on where he is too.
Message 5 of 99
Latest reply

@*elizabeths-mum* wrote:
He has done 3 of his 5 1/2 years. She is still blind in one eye and traumatised. She can't change her name and move elsewhere without him being kept up to date. She is totally vulnerable. I'd want to be kept updated on where he is too.

It still doesn't make it logical.

How is knowing where he lives going to make her feel less vulnerable? Is she going to park outside his house and watch him just in case he comes near her?

And in general terms, an ex-crim is still entitled to be left to live their lives after they have done their time. Whilst there are some exceptions, most can function normally in the community again. But not if they are hounded out of the houses and jobs by people who have their addresses.

Message 6 of 99
Latest reply

It is my opinion that only when he has completed his sentence by complying with all his parole conditions for the period required, then and only then is he entitled to his privacy - not before - particularly since he is in possession of his victim's address.

Until that time he cannot be considered to have 'done his time'.

If I was in that situation, I would want to know his location if only to ensure that I avoided being in that area for any reason.

Message 7 of 99
Latest reply

the problem is the vigilantes.

He has limited chances of rehabilitation whilst being harrassed by vigilantes. Whether it be now or in 10 years time, he is going to be released back into society, so it's desirable that he be given the best chance at rehabilitation possible.

just because a person knows his address, doesn't mean they know his location. Maybe he travels to another town for work, shopping,  to visit relatives etc?

So, really, I can't see how knowing his address is going to help the victim avoid being in his proximity.

Some people can go their whole lives and never really live for a single minute.
Message 8 of 99
Latest reply

If the "ex" crim is entitled to his privacy even though he hasn't fully served his time, then why isn't the victim entitled to hers also?

He may have served some of his time, but what's stopping him from trying to attack her again?

Privacy works both ways IMO

You keep using that word, I do not think it means what you think it means
Message 9 of 99
Latest reply

Your assumption that she wants his address to act as some sort of vigilante has no basis in fact.

Unless you have been in that woman's situation or something similar to it, you have little idea of her motivation so I have to suppose that you have not been in a similar situation.

Message 10 of 99
Latest reply