Visiting New Zealand at Christmas doing both IslandsDriving - any tips♥

Am soooooooo looking forward to our trip. We have always wanted to visit New Zealand.

Have booked Hotels and hire car etc.

Auckland, Rotorua, Wellington, Picton, Christchurch, Franz Josef, Queenstown, Milford Sound, Te Anau, Dunedin, Lake Tekapo, Bay of Plenty...

Any tips or advice would be most appreciated.

In our 50's so bungy jumping is not on our agenda♥

Message 1 of 16
Latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

Lucky you and yes both islands stunning with the South in our opinion having the edge.....when in Christchurch make a trip out to Akaroa little settlement with a strong French influence and very pretty.

When in Queenstown have lunch at the Queenstown Golf Course..very reasonably priced......and is one of the most stunning golf courses in the world......they will allow you onto the fairways to take photos but have to ask at the pro shop first.

If you are both mad photographers....NZ will take your breath away.......was designed with photographers in mind

Have a simply wonderful time:)

Message 2 of 16
Latest reply

Thank you - great tips... hubby loves Golf!!

Message 3 of 16
Latest reply

Try to make it down to  Invercargill (further south than Dunedin) and treat your self to the Bluff Oysters.

My wife and I did on our last trip did and they are sooooo gooood.

Have a great trip

Message 4 of 16
Latest reply

How long are you going to be away for? NZ is a small country  but you need a few weeks to see a lot of it, especially if doing both Islands.

I come from the Sth Island. Akaroa is a nice place to visit.

Arrowtown near Queenstown is cute. There are lots of good wineries in/near Queenstown (Central Otago) and most have good restaraunts/cafes as well.

Bluff Oysters were in season when I went there in March.. yum.

Message 5 of 16
Latest reply

Hubby loves Oysters too.... looks like he is in for a great trip!! Me, I just love looking at scenery and indulging in spas...

Thanks, have added some great tips to our trip♥

Can only spend 16 days there..

Message 6 of 16
Latest reply

Wave to me in the Bay of Plenty LOL, remember it will be colder in the south island, beaches are beautiful in the north but wrong time of year.

Pity you are not going right up north, Bay of islands has stunning scenery.

Milford sounds is fantastic, want go go back there myself.

Rotorua smells like sulphur but you get used to it, try the hot mineral pools.

Hope you have a great holiday

Message 7 of 16
Latest reply

Like people have said Akaroa is beautiful.

Dunedin - make sure you go to the peninsular to see the penguins and albatross.

Te Anau - Catch the boat and see the glow worm caves they are just so beautiful.

Franz Josef - it is a long walk to the glacier but well worth it.

Milford Sounds -  if it is raining you will see all the waterfalls if not you won't but it still has a beauty of its own.

We have only been to the South Island and loved every minute we spent there, the food is so fresh and beautiful.  We went before the earthquake and loved Christchurch but I don't know what it looks like now.  We went for 10 days hired a car did not book accommodation just turned up and did not have any trouble getting rooms but we did go in March. Keep your eyes out for laybuys when you are driving, there are plenty of them if you stop most have walking tracks that without going to far can lead you to some breathtaking sight.

Have a great holiday.

Message 8 of 16
Latest reply

How long are you going for?  Both islands will take at least a month to do them anything close to justice.

When in Rotorua, go to the public park opposite the hospital before paying anything to see geothermal activity.

And when I lived in Queenstown many years ago, I was told not to eat on the SS Earnslaw. It was over 20 years ago, so hopefully that has changed.

And if it is raining, I highly recommend Doubtful Sound - it is amazing in the rain.

You don't have to be crazy to be here, but it helps.
Message 9 of 16
Latest reply

^^ Can only spend 16 days there..

Message 10 of 16
Latest reply