WASTE IN HOSPITALS

I recently returned a pair of crutches to the local hospital which took some time and effort (not complaining) to be told they don't want them back as they are used. These crutches were used for 2 days and although i respect that some may and I stress MAY be returned in bad condition those which are returned in pristine condition should be cleaned and re-used. Crutches and other similar items may cost in excess of $50 to provide so why not use them again where possible ?

Keep it nice, I might cry if you write anything upsetting (like not)
Message 1 of 53
Latest reply
52 REPLIES 52

WASTE IN HOSPITALS

That's crazy. What state are you in? What a silly waste of money.
We've had various pieces of gear like crutches, shower chairs etc over the years and have always had to return them. Once we had to get them couriered from Canberra to the south coast.

Creator of the Most Awesome Thread Topic EVER

WASTE IN HOSPITALS

@lurker17260 wrote:
That's crazy. What state are you in? What a silly waste of money.
We've had various pieces of gear like crutches, shower chairs etc over the years and have always had to return them. Once we had to get them couriered from Canberra to the south coast.

In NSW but that is no excuse, we the tax payer provide these necessaties in public hospitals and they should be re-used where possible. I think I will write to my loacl MP (good luck to me) and complain about the waste of tax payers money GRRRRRRR

Message 3 of 53
Latest reply

WASTE IN HOSPITALS

We had to pay for hubby's crutches, and I think we had to pay for the leg brace too.  That was through the public hospital system.

I wonder if St Vinnies would want them.

Message 4 of 53
Latest reply

WASTE IN HOSPITALS

They take them back here and so do the chemists.

You should take the crutches to the rehabilitation places, sure they would take them.

Message 5 of 53
Latest reply

WASTE IN HOSPITALS

That sounds very unusual. I agree with you, what a waste. Maybe the person you spoke with didn't know what to do with them?

and were too lazy to find out!

Whenever any crutches etc. were needed here, they were hired from the hospital for a small fee and returned.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Buttercup: You mock my pain! Man in Black: Life is pain, Highness. Anyone who says differently is selling something.
Message 6 of 53
Latest reply

WASTE IN HOSPITALS

I am in Victoria, my son in law works in a rehab. hospital and they are always looking for these items as they are low on them.

Message 7 of 53
Latest reply

WASTE IN HOSPITALS

That does sound very unusual...

Message 8 of 53
Latest reply

WASTE IN HOSPITALS

@am*3 wrote:

That does sound very unusual...

agree but sadly true, i was very disappointed and angry

Message 9 of 53
Latest reply

WASTE IN HOSPITALS

Donate them to Vinnies instead of being angry and writing letters.

There is obviously a good reason if they're refusing to accept their return. Perhaps germs or OHS.
Message 10 of 53
Latest reply