What Makes News Headlines

Listening to the news on the way to work this morning, 2 announcements made me wonder how the warrant news headlines.

India Bans Burning Cow Dung Near Taj Mahal

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-01-13/india-bans-burning-cow-dung-near-yellowing-taj-mahal/6015504

Apparently it turns the white marble yellow. Ok it's a valid concern but does it really warrant a news headline?

Dead Dolphin Found on Newcastle Beach 

Thought to have been killed by shark.

(no link available)

Ok I know they have a cpl of Great Whites stalking the area, but...a news headline? Really?

Message 1 of 30
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

The point about news is that it is reported in newspapers and on television.  It is a business and the objective of business is to make money. 

At its basest level news is gossip (or if you can't accept that, news serves the purposes of gossip in our global village).  So it is a mixture of things that are important (that is, things professional journalists think you should know) and things that are purely interesting.  Man bites dog stories are not important, but people enjoy talking about these things so they are reported as news.  And being so reported the stories become news.

View solution in original post

Message 15 of 30
Latest reply
29 REPLIES 29

aps1080
Community Member

"

Dead Dolphin Found on Newcastle Beach 

Thought to have been killed by shark."

It appeals to the huggy fluffy brigade Smiley LOL

80 percent is carp now that they try to pass off as news.

Message 2 of 30
Latest reply

Bring on the huggy, fluffy, feel good stuff.  Just for a break.  Smiley Very HappySmiley Very Happy

DEB

Message 3 of 30
Latest reply

Sandilands pooed himself in hospital

Entire Article Here

We all know what a sh*thead Sandilands is, so is that sort of headline really warranted?

Message 4 of 30
Latest reply

ABC News 24 should be re-named ABC News 1/2.That's all the news they have and it's repeated 48 times.Al Jazeera etc beat it hands down,particularly if you're interested in world news.
Message 5 of 30
Latest reply

Pope upsets German rabbit breeders

THE Pope's comment that Catholics don't have to breed "like rabbits" has caused offence - among Germany's rabbit breeders.

http://www.news.com.au/world/breaking-news/pope-upsets-german-rabbit-breeders/story-e6frfkui-1227191...

Message 6 of 30
Latest reply

Not front page online newsworthy.

"Scientists have worked out the truth behind why paper cuts hurt like hell"

Sophie Monk " I should have worn a bra"

"i pee in a bottle to save money"
Message 7 of 30
Latest reply

Anything with the name Kardashian just annoys me. This family is full of oxygen thieves and not worthy of any news time, but yet them seem to be in the news everyday.
Message 8 of 30
Latest reply

LOL He still had the necessary co ordination to text, even if he was having a 'stroke'.

@icyfroth wrote:

Sandilands pooed himself in hospital

Entire Article Here

We all know what a sh*thead Sandilands is, so is that sort of headline really warranted?

Message 10 of 30
Latest reply