What a terrible game

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-01-16/demands-for-'racist'-survival-island-3-game-to-be-taken-down/7...

Over 30,000 people have signed an online petition calling for a video game that appears to encourage players to kill Indigenous Australians to be removed from app stores.

The petition was started by Georgia Mantle who raised concerns that it required players to survive in the Australian outback and rewarded them with weapons and food for killing Aboriginal people.

Reviews of the game, Survival Island 3- Australia Story 3D, in the Google Play store blasted the game as "glorifying genocide" and "horrific and disgustingly racist".

In the petition statement, Ms Mantle said the game promoted racial violence and negative stereotypes of Indigenous Australians. She said the game included pop-up "warning" messages that show phrases like "Beware of Aborigines".

According to the petition, the game "makes fun and sport of massacres" and violates the terms and conditions for developers on major app store providers, Google Play and Apple.

"There is nothing more; but I want nothing more." Christopher Hitchins
Message 1 of 9
Latest reply
3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

What a terrible game

What a terrible, disgusting game! I just read about it. What kind of people develop such thing and what kind of people lower themselves to market such a game? How was this alowed to be marketed? Don't new products have to be tested before getting permission to be sold?

One wonders about the sanity of such people and their attitude towards violence?

Mentally deranged creatures who would do anything for money.

I am stunned.

Erica

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 9
Latest reply

What a terrible game

In this case It's not really about rating.

The game encourages the player to hunt and kill aborigines.

No rating could alleviate such abhorrent game design.

image host

Message 4 of 9
Latest reply

What a terrible game

No rating could ever make this acceptable subject matter.

Message 7 of 9
Latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

What a terrible game

What a terrible, disgusting game! I just read about it. What kind of people develop such thing and what kind of people lower themselves to market such a game? How was this alowed to be marketed? Don't new products have to be tested before getting permission to be sold?

One wonders about the sanity of such people and their attitude towards violence?

Mentally deranged creatures who would do anything for money.

I am stunned.

Erica

Message 2 of 9
Latest reply

What a terrible game

I don't know anything about games but when I used to buy them they had a rating and I used to be guided by that to buy age appropriate games for a relative. Don't they have to have a rating anymore?

Message 3 of 9
Latest reply

What a terrible game

In this case It's not really about rating.

The game encourages the player to hunt and kill aborigines.

No rating could alleviate such abhorrent game design.

image host
Message 4 of 9
Latest reply

What a terrible game

Usually, if I try hard enough, I can kind of understand where some people's ideas come from, even though I may totally disagree with them.  This one, however, has me totally stumped.  What weird, twisted mind comes up with the idea in this day and age, that it's ok (even in a game) to hunt down particular ethnic groups, especially when that reflects their recent past history.  What's next?  Shoot 'em up Tutsi game? Lets play Pol Pot?

It staggers and saddens me.

Message 5 of 9
Latest reply

What a terrible game

it had a 12+ rating, bump. It was the content rather than the rating that was the problem.

Message 6 of 9
Latest reply

What a terrible game

No rating could ever make this acceptable subject matter.

Message 7 of 9
Latest reply

What a terrible game

http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/2016/01/16/minister-orders-investigation-game-promoting-killing-a...

Communications minister Mitch Fifield has asked his department to investigate the circumstances under which a game that encourages players to bludgeon Aboriginal Australians to death was offered for sale on major online sites.

This morning the game 'Survival Island 3: Australia Story 3D' was removed from sale on the Apple Store and Google Play after thousands demanded it's removal and labelled the game racist.

"I am appalled that anyone would develop such a so called 'game' and that any platform would carry it," Minister Fifield said in a statement. "I have asked my department to provide advice on the circumstances of its release and to review and advise in relation to any other games by the same developer."

Message 8 of 9
Latest reply

What a terrible game

Amazon is still selling the app.Woman Mad

Message 9 of 9
Latest reply