What is the cost of registering a motor vehicle in NSW?

I've looked on the internet but it's slightly confusing, registration then other fees?  Can anyone just tell me the approx cost of getting a car registered?  Is there a discount for penioners?

Message 1 of 8
Latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

The green slip is costly, but rego for pensioners is free
*we may be human, but we are still animals*
Message 2 of 8
Latest reply

You can check the exact amount on the Roads and Maritime website.

Message 3 of 8
Latest reply

fo-trut
Community Member

It's getting harder and harder to drive. The managment / owners of the apartments where I live now require an anual fee for a parking sticker and proof of insurance and registration to park in their lot. I could lose my parking spot and have to park on the street because I might not be able to afford to park here. I risk theft, vandals and getting towed parking on the street.

I don't even drive that much, living in the city, but the few times I do need to bring home a month's worth of groceries, do laundry, or go more than 10 miles, the car is a life saver.

Message 4 of 8
Latest reply

sorry Im from Victoria, what is the green slip?  I have looked on the website, but theres nothing clear that, just hoping someone from NSW can  tell me what it costs to register a car?  In Victoria we all pay the same...pensioners receive a discount otherwise a car is around $800 a year.  Does that sound similar to NSW?

Message 5 of 8
Latest reply

@givemeaspell wrote:

I've looked on the internet but it's slightly confusing, registration then other fees?  Can anyone just tell me the approx cost of getting a car registered?  Is there a discount for penioners?

Depends on a lot of variables, Gimme.
Here's their website you can figure it out for yourself:

http://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/roads/registration/

Message 6 of 8
Latest reply

Here in Vic the reg and 3rd party ins combined is around 700-750.

And a pensioner pays around 500-550.

They are the figures from our family members.

image host
Message 7 of 8
Latest reply

If you bring the car from another state into NSW then you will have to have an auvis inspection $92 (aka blue slip). to iniatate ownership and verification of the owners details and the vehicles validity Once you have the auvis inspection it's off to the registry....but only after you have purchased your CTP (compulsory third party) insurance from your preferred insurer. there are copmparison sites online

If you are a pensioner and it's the only vehicle registered in your name in NSW then the rego fee will be waivered at the registry.

Each year after the vehicle is 5 years old in NSW you will  a Eslip safety check (AKApink slip) $38 from a licneced insopection station to reregister your vehicle.

TELL ME AND I WILL FORGET, SHOW ME AND I MAY REMEMBER,, INVOLVE ME AND I WILL UNDERSTAND Confucius 450bc
Message 8 of 8
Latest reply