Wheeler Fortune euthanased after fall at Oakbank Easter Racing carnival

I'm so relieved it was just a horse and not the rider.

so everyone there could carry on enjoying the festivities of watching horses do what they love. jumping to their deaths.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-04-15/wheeler-fortune-euthanased-after-fall-at-oakbank-carnival/8445...

well thats what i heard one owner/trainer say....the horses love to jump, i've watched them galloping about in my paddock and jumping over obsticals just for the love of it.

ah hem! but those galloping horses jumping over things just for the love of it didnt have someone sitting on their back making them do it right?

kinda makes a difference doesnt it?

just because i might like to jump over hurdles doesnt mean id wanna do it with someone sitting on my back telling me too.

Message 1 of 42
Latest reply
41 REPLIES 41

How do I put this so I am not banned for life for foul language

I

Can't

Let's just say the individual that sprouted such a remark is very very lucky I was not within earshot at the time

Woman MadWoman MadWoman Mad

Message 2 of 42
Latest reply

A lot of horses just love to run too. But there's a difference between running willingly and freely in your own environment and on a race track surrounded by other great beasts, being crowded, bumped and sometimes bitten, all while galloping at full speed. Some horses become terrified. They occasionally fall and get euthanased too - it happened last week.

It all depends how you view it and where you think the line needs to be drawn.

Message 3 of 42
Latest reply

Poor horse.

I'm sure the rider was devastated as well.

I believe it's a very close bond between horse and rider.

Message 4 of 42
Latest reply

Which is a better way to go for a horse?

The RSPCA has seized 17 horses that were on the brink of starvation from a property on the Mornington Peninsula.

The animal cruelty watchdog made the seizure on Thursday after a tip-off from a member of the public who was concerned about the horses' welfare.

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/rspca-seizes-17-starving-horses-from-property-on-mornington-penins...

Either way, animal slavery is cruel.

Message 5 of 42
Latest reply

@icyfroth wrote:

Poor horse.

I'm sure the rider was devastated as well.

I believe it's a very close bond between horse and rider.

I can't recall any rider being 'put down' after breaking a leg.

Message 6 of 42
Latest reply

You think it's ok for humans to be put down and and animals to be left to a slow and agonising death?

I beleive horses are put down after a limb breakage because it's too hard and long a process to heal a broken limb and in the long run creates too much stress on the horse without significant result and ends up in the demise of the poor animal anyway.

Message 7 of 42
Latest reply

SA racing industry criticises Minister for 'insulting' comments in wake of horse death

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-04-17/thoroughbred-racing-sa-takes-aim-at-leon-bignell/8448032

thats it, attack someone who actually thinks forcing horses to jump so we can gamble on them is wrong.

if jump racing is no more dangerous for horses than flat racing then theres a problem with all horse racing. prolly not a good argument to make.

Message 8 of 42
Latest reply

a bond between horse and rider? are you kidding? the jockeys in 99% of cases dont know a horse personally, they dont get up every day and take the horses out and feed em and excersise em and wash em ect ect.

they turn up at the track, climb on board and start hitting em with a whip until the race ends, then they get off and get on another horse!

no, i'm not saying we should put riders down.

but we do put down every horse that breaks its leg in racing.

could brocken legs in horses be fixed? i dont know but i rekon it might be if we thought money was no problem.

Message 9 of 42
Latest reply

horses aren't easily fixed after a breakage.

do the research.

Message 10 of 42
Latest reply