Where is the Ministry for Science?

What about Innovation? Research? Ageing?

Or even Tourism?

And how come Arts gets lumbered in with the Attorney Generals busy portfolio?

Yet Border Protection gets it's own ministry rather than falling under the obvious category of Defence. An entire ministry for a handful of people that apparently aren't going to be coming here anymore?

Message 1 of 126
Latest reply
125 REPLIES 125

mugssy65
Community Member
Hogwarts? 🙂
Message 2 of 126
Latest reply

It's been replaced with the Ministry of Silence.
Message 3 of 126
Latest reply

That's where the 12,000 public service job cuts are coming from. Just abolish the dept., that gets rid of 'em

Creator of the Most Awesome Thread Topic EVER

**meep**
Community Member

it will be shared between the Industry and Education...

but hey, what are you worried about?  Afghanistan has 3 female ministers but no ministry  of science...Smiley Happy

Message 5 of 126
Latest reply

In the last 5 years the science debate has seen the LNP sentiment fall on the side of psuedo-science. This is because it wants and needs to harness ignorance to advantage, something it has done very successfully even if they don't believe it themselves.

Mr Abbott and his team made a lot of gains with a nonk approach to science , especially climate denial. Ignorance is for them an electoral must as is seen by the use again and again of dog-whistle politics. Climate deniers can relate to him and the fake persona he presents them as being 'one of us' when in fact he isn't , but he's happy to take their vote.

Message 6 of 126
Latest reply

Who decides we don't need a Ministry of Science when we have always had one since the 1930's?

Message 7 of 126
Latest reply

**meep**
Community Member

@i-need-a-martini wrote:

What about Innovation? Research? Ageing?

Or even Tourism?

And how come Arts gets lumbered in with the Attorney Generals busy portfolio?

Yet Border Protection gets it's own ministry rather than falling under the obvious category of Defence. An entire ministry for a handful of people that apparently aren't going to be coming here anymore?

Border Protection AND Immigration Ministry

Tony Burke was a Minister for Immigration, Multicultural Affairs and Citizenship and the Minister for the Arts.

Message 8 of 126
Latest reply

@**meep** wrote:

it will be shared between the Industry and Education...

but hey, what are you worried about?  Afghanistan has 3 female ministers but no ministry  of science...Smiley Happy

I can't see where I brought up afghanistan, can you?

And since when do you 'share' something as pivotal as Science. It seems to me that it is less about sharing and more about diffusing.

It's an astounding ommission that says much about where the government expects us to be placed globally and in the future.

For such a small country Australia has always been a leader in som many scientific fields because we have always given it the attention it deserves.

I suspect that will no longer be the case.

Message 9 of 126
Latest reply

Down the hall from Defence Against the Dark Arts.

Message 10 of 126
Latest reply