Where's the duty of care?

I've been a bit disgusted with the behaviour of some doctors & doctors' surgeries lately. I wonder, is there any duty of care?

I have an aunt who is 90 years old. She's perfectly with it & still quite active but I have noticed she is a little frailer than she used to be or more easily hurt.

Recently, she tripped over something in her home and fell and hurt her leg and one elbow.

Now the leg had recently been very badly hurt in an accident at an airport when she was returning from an overseas trip (accident not her fault) but she didn't need the wound reopened.

Anyway, her fall happened about 7.15pm but she could not stop the bleeding, especially on her right elbow so she drove herself to a nearby medical clinic that she knew was open till 8pm.

She got there at 7.45pm, dripping blood.

They told her that the elbow needed stitches but they close at 8pm and basically, too bad, but stitching her up might take them over time so she would need to drive herself to Sandringham hospital (she was in Brighton).

She did that where they saw her & took about 15 minutes to stitch it up.

But really, what do you think of a clinic that knocks back a 90 year old woman, on her own at night, injured, when fixing her would probably only take them 5 minutes overtime? And sends her off to drive herself, dripping blood, to a hospital?

Not impressed.

Message 1 of 20
Latest reply
19 REPLIES 19

That's pretty poor. Do you know if it was a receptionist or a medical staff member who knocked her back? They are supposed to be the caring professions, but it's amazing how many don't seem to care enough!

Message 2 of 20
Latest reply

I'm not sure which one it was, but I would have thought if it was the receptionist she would check with a doctor first.

My aunt is still active but she doesn't look young, they would have known they were dealing with quite an elderly woman.

Message 3 of 20
Latest reply

I hate to say this and might get jumped on by somebody, but too many health professionals view the elderly (and  handicapped, and disabled) with a lesser priority than so called normal people. They don't seem to inspire the same will to respond with the same degree of enthusiasm and professionalism. I view it as a form of covert discrimination whether it is intentional or not.

Message 4 of 20
Latest reply

johcaschro
Community Member

"But really, what do you think of a clinic that knocks back a 90 year old woman, on her own at night, injured, when fixing her would probably only take them 5 minutes overtime?"

The first thing I thought of was that this was probably a private, for-profit clinic and that your aunt would have been better off going directly to the A&E dept of the nearest public hospital.

In my opinion, Medicine should be a Public Service, offered to everyone on a needs basis and should never ever be allowed to be subject to its provision on a private, user-pays basis instead.

What I think of this cilinc is unprintable here.

Message 5 of 20
Latest reply

johcaschro
Community Member

This issue of "duty of care" is problematic when and if it conflicts with a duty to maximise shareholders' profits or when it conflicts with the strong desire of  individuals to maximise their own private and personal profit.

When the issue of private profit is removed form the provision of health care then the duty which remains is purely for the benefit of the patient or the client.

Message 6 of 20
Latest reply

Couldn't agree with you more. As said elsewhere , anyone over the age of 60 is deemed too old (anyone ask us?? )

Your aunt seems quite sprightly for 90 - still driving etc.

What the clinic did was so wrong - I can imagine what they would do if someone was having a heart attack.

The medical professionals are no longer a caring profession - very pleased I have given up nursing (many years with the public health system and aged care) - it is distressing to see the level of care given (or not) to many people.

I hope your aunt is doing well.

Message 7 of 20
Latest reply

sounds like a perfect story for 'current afair'

they would love to hear from you i suspect.

i have seen similar stories in the past, the clinic would love the publicity i'm sure.

Message 8 of 20
Latest reply

@springyzone wrote:

I'm not sure which one it was, but I would have thought if it was the receptionist she would check with a doctor first.

My aunt is still active but she doesn't look young, they would have known they were dealing with quite an elderly woman.

Not necessarily as they just want to go home,(I've seen it before where the receptionist wanted to go home

but the doctor has walked in and said that they will see the patient).

Take her back to that clinic to get the stitches removed and then you can ask the doctor why their policy is to

not treat a patient that is bleeding and in need of care?

The minimum that should have happened is for a medical staff member to have a look at it.

Did they ask if she was on blood thinners,eg: Warfarin,(as that is a vital question as it stops the blood from

clotting and therefore the person can't stop the bleeding).

Message 9 of 20
Latest reply

That's so heartless.

May be worth suggesting to your aunt that in future with any health issue small or otherwise an ambulance is called. 

Even 'just' bleeding with a 90 year old needs medical attention.  She sounds marvellous and spunky for her age and i do hope she keeps on like that for years.  Heart

Message 10 of 20
Latest reply