Why do poor people buy expensive or unnecessary things?

Why do people live beyond their means, especially those on welfare?

Sure, people can spend money on whatever they want but how many times have you seen people who are supposedly struggling financially with nice phones/clothes ordering at takeaways/restaurants when they should be saving and eating at home. 

How about those who have children to feed, yet they're happy to spend their welfare money on alcohol and ciggies?

Can poor people justify spending money on non-essentials?

Message 1 of 71
Latest reply
70 REPLIES 70

when they should be saving and eating at home. -Bob's opinion

You're a bit of a bossy one, aren't you!

I know a woman who had 6 kids and they didn't have a high income.

Her justification for the occasional maccas treat was sometimes poorer people like to have a bit of a break from cooking too and the kids enjoy a change every now and then as well.

The stats show wealthier people often eat out or at business meals up to 3 times a week. Most poorer people don't do that.

As for saving, the reason some poorer families buy the big TV or brand name sneakers instead of saving for a home is because they have the cash for that but can't see that they will ever have the cash for a home deposit. Sort of, a bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush sort of thing.

I'm the first to admit I don't like to see welfare money spent on drugs etc but at the same time, you shouldn't necessarily push middle class values onto everyone. It isn't a crime to rent and not buy a home. And not all the poor are on welfare. There are working poor too you know. People who work very hard but who will always have to be a bit careful to make ends meet.

But if they enjoy the occasional take away meal or the occasional treat, leave them alone.

There's a huge difference between living beyond your means and spending on something that someone else (bob) thinks they should not have bought. My opinion is if people are low income, as long as they are paying their bills and not mistreating children etc then leave them alone to the occasional treat.

Message 2 of 71
Latest reply

In other words, everyone should make themselves as miserable as Bob

Message 3 of 71
Latest reply

@the_bob_delusion wrote:

Sure, people can spend money on whatever they want but how many times have you seen people who are supposedly struggling financially with nice phones/clothes ordering at takeaways/restaurants when they should be saving and eating at home. 

How about those who have children to feed, yet they're happy to spend their welfare money on alcohol and ciggies?

The frustration of being poor can make people do things to make themselves feel good.

Justification is maybe not the issue. Maybe it is. Depends on how one looks at the situation.

Interesting question by the way.

Message 4 of 71
Latest reply

@the_bob_delusion wrote:

Do they have to, and to who? What is your beef with poor people, why single them out?

There are plenty of alcoholics and addicted gamblers who are earning heaps of money while neglecting their families or committing domestic violence.

News flash Bob - some poor people are good people, and good at budgeting too. They don't have to justify anything to you.

Message 5 of 71
Latest reply

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

@the_bob_delusion wrote:

What do you call non-essentials?

Do the poor people that you are referring to also term those items non-essential to their lifestyle?

I have seen some very wealthy people spending money on things that I call non-essential.....certainly non-essential to my life style....but does anybody question them?

And who determines if an item is expensive?  Whose standards do we apply to deciding if something is expensive or good value for money?

Message 6 of 71
Latest reply

Maybe the 'poor person' saved up for a couple of years to treat themselves to the non-essential thing 

Still, if it is not on the approved Bob list, it's out 

Message 7 of 71
Latest reply

@the_bob_delusion wrote:

They don't; they can't.

Message 8 of 71
Latest reply

What are non-essentials in your eyes?

I find this topic quite off putting.  What right has anyone to say what someone should or should not do with their finances.

Many "Welfare" recipients are not in your "Category" through something they may or not have done.  There is always 2 or sometimes 3 answers to this question.

I am an Aged Pensioner and on limited income.  At times I like to treat myself to little luxuries.  I spent more than 50 years working while trying to provide for grandchildren whose mother was killed in a nasty accident.  I tried to give those kids as much as I possibly could.  They didn't have the brans name clothes or super fancy shoes but did at times get the odd take away.  Those weeks I went without.  They missed a lot but never complained. 

Now same kids are self supporting and although not wealthy do not forget what happened in those years.  Nan is frequently helped out.

Again "What are non-essentials"

Message 9 of 71
Latest reply

Which one are you talking about?

absolute-poverty-definition.png

Message 10 of 71
Latest reply