Wrist tendonitis. How painful is it supposed to be?

I saw a GP today and she disgnosed tendonitis. It came on suddenly it was so painful I couldn't sleep at all even though I tried Nurofen, Panadol and ice every 30 mins.

She's given me Mobic and suggested a hand brace thing. I took the Mobic but it didn't even touch the pain. I'm wearing the wrist brace thing. Now my fingers are slightly swollen and the brace feels really tight and my hand/wrist hurt but taking the brace off it my hand still hurts but the swelling seems to subside. I'm wearing it again. Fingers swelling again.

I had 2 Pan Forte in my first aid kit and took those and I was able to get a few hours sleep. Now the pain has come back.

I 've never had tendonitis before but is it supposed to be this painful??

Message 1 of 14
Latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

Excruciatingly painful....sounds about right to me.

Message 2 of 14
Latest reply

I've heard it's horribly painful.

Message 3 of 14
Latest reply

What did you use for the pain and how long did it last?

Message 4 of 14
Latest reply

i get it quite often

but it only ever hurts when i knock it or put pressure on it

Message 5 of 14
Latest reply

I had wrist pain for about 10 years and searching for the answer to another problem I found the cause was a vitamin D deficiency. Only found this a about a month ago and I wonder how many other people have this problem and wasting time with doctors who just cover up the symptoms.

I could lift 200 pounds no problem, but lifting a coffee cup made it feel like my hands were being pulled from my arms. Steering a car also hurt. I ended up steering with knee and just guiding with my hands, then my knee hurt, lol. (I HAD to work!).

I found ace bandages worked best.

http://treato.com/Vitamin+D,Wrist+Pain/?a=s

I hope this is your answer too!

Message 6 of 14
Latest reply

I already take Vitamin D every day.

Happy you found the answer though, for you Jimmeh 🙂

Message 7 of 14
Latest reply

I hope it may be the answer for at least one person reading this thread. It really bugs me that not a single doctor thought of it, and I saw many over the years. Only one admitted he was at a loss, the rest all acted like they knew what it was and prescribed something.

Convenietly there were no cures for their answers.

Too much vitamin D (and cause kidney problems) and/or too much calcium also causes joint pain. From what I hear doctors in Australia check vitamin levels. Not here unless you insist! Probably the pharmaceutical companies controling that! Smiley Frustrated

Magnesium helps with joint pain too.

Using ace bandages worked best because you can better control the pressure/tightness of them.

Good luck!

Message 8 of 14
Latest reply

i can get a sore wrist sometimes, depends

Signatures suck.
Message 9 of 14
Latest reply

How funny...It's 6:45am I'm having some coffee, watching the news and reading here. As I scroll through the channels what's on TV? An infomercial for joint pain. He's saying what I just said!

They selling Athri-D.

Something else you might consider.....are you doing anything over and over? Repetitive stress injury?

Maybe try not taking vitamin D for week and see if things change?

Message 10 of 14
Latest reply