just pay ya darn staff the correct amount george!

MasterChef judge George Calombaris axed as face of WA Tourism after staff underpayment scandal

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-07-22/masterchef-george-calombaris-loses-sponsorship-from-tourism-w...

if master chef underpaid him hed sue em for sure.

cant believe after the soccer incident he was still on tv, and now hes guilty of underpaying his staff and hes still on tv!

Message 1 of 21
Latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

It's not good.

But I'd be willing to bet the man doesn't sit down and do the books.

This is one of the differences between middle class & wealthy. Often people in the middle income bracket manage their own bills & finances. But the wealthier you get, the more likely it is you'll have other people-business managers and the like-who will do all that for you. That's why you sometimes read of pop stars and such being ripped off by their business managers, because they have left all the finances in someone else's hands.

From what I have read,  the problems came to light when there was a change in management and they self-reported the problems. It seems they were not classifying jobs correctly and not keeping proper records of hours worked and this is common in the hospitality industry.

So I don't know that George would have had much of a clue that the wages weren't being done properly till the new manager reported the problems. But that's when George should have jumped in quickly to have accountants poring over the books and fixing any mistakes. But it's like anything else, hindsight is an exact science. I doubt he appreciated the size of the problem or the need for speed.

I can guarantee his eating establishments aren't the only ones not paying their workers enough. The McDonald's near me routinely required it's teen workers to stay after hours to mop & clean the store and no one was paid a cent for that extra time, which often amounted to at least 40 minutes after each shift. The workers there hated getting the late shift.

I know of a petrol station (well known brand) where the workers don't get any pay loading for things like public holidays etc

As in George's restaurants, the main people affected are casual workers and I think that's why a lot of businesses can be a bit slack, they don't ever face consequences as casual staff come and go.

Message 2 of 21
Latest reply

martinw-48
Community Member
Wage theft is rampant in the country.
So many people are desperate for a job that they don't care.
I remember being forced to apply for a job at a kitchen manufacturer in Hamilton and when I told my case manager (it was before they became Employment Consultants) that they are well known for paying below award she said it was no excuse to not work there.
I said fine but I'll be dobbing them in to fair work as soon as I get paid my first wage and whether she thought that they'd keep me on after that.
They went belly up not long after
Message 3 of 21
Latest reply

Reminds me of a place I used to work many moons ago. The owners(also the bosses and responsible for payroll) had a $5 million dollar mansion by the beach,plus other houses and luxury cars besides and underpaid all their staff

Most of us went to the union who could not have given a flying fa la la and then the said bosses laid off staff because they ‘couldn’t afford to keep them,despite them already being stupidly understaffed)

Message 4 of 21
Latest reply

MasterChef judges George Calombaris, Matt Preston and Gary Mehigan not returning next season

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-07-23/masterchef-all-three-judges-not-returning-next-season/1133955...

seems the show has decided to revamp with all the 'stars' given the door out of the building.

not sure i would want to be leaving at the same time george, people might think i am part of his not paying workers problem.

they say they couldnt reach an agreement on pay packets, were they not prepared to take a cut like georges staff?

Message 5 of 21
Latest reply

martinw-48
Community Member
I think George's employees should be thankful that he was a part of Masterchef because he probably wouldn't of had eight million lying around otherwise
Message 6 of 21
Latest reply

I was reading today that his restaurants are empty of diners... oh well.  we have plenty of good restaurants in Melb.

Message 7 of 21
Latest reply

@debra9275 wrote:

I was reading today that his restaurants are empty of diners... oh well.  we have plenty of good restaurants in Melb.

so now not only has his staff been underpaid they will be out of jobs while he sails off into the sunset

Message 8 of 21
Latest reply

George Calombaris, former MasterChef judge, says 'I'm sorry' for underpaying staff

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-07-31/george-calombaris-breaks-his-silence-about-underpaying-staff/...

an oppoligy is fine but it doesnt fix the error.

how about every employee underpaid gets their wage corrected and then the amount per week they were under paid added to their weekly pay until its all paid back?or double the error or triple?

or a lump sum, their choice.

then workers who no longer work for him get a repayment of every cent owed?

not a lousy $200,000 on a 8 million $ underpayment

Message 9 of 21
Latest reply

Perhaps watch.

“Right now there’s 642 team members that I absolutely adore. We aren’t closing our restaurants, we’re here. And it’s my job as their leader to keep pushing forward and keep speaking this message, not shying away from the mistake we made, but also acknowledging that we fixed it.”

Calombaris will speak with Sales on ABC’s 7.30 tonight.

Message 10 of 21
Latest reply