more scam calls

4 scamers today

3 from the telstra technical dept and 1 from the nbn technical dept.

all indian accents, as per usual and all claim if i dont let them 'fix' the problem my internet will stop working

Message 1 of 29
Latest reply
28 REPLIES 28

more scam calls

Nah, sorry can't talk right now,I need to pop this head into some Formaldehyde before it attracts the blowflys 

*Hate it when that happens

Message 2 of 29
Latest reply

more scam calls

There is always - a time delay.

Before they begin their spiel.

Patience & wait.

Once they begin :

In your best monotone.

' Hello - you have reached the - AFP Hotline  - how may I direct your call '.

OK then.

Message 3 of 29
Latest reply

more scam calls

With these off-shore scam calls, they use auto-diallers: the dialler calls a number, if it detects a human on the other end, it redirects the call to the scammer. There's usually a second or two of silence, then a burst of noise as the call gets picked up at the scammer's end - as soon as I hear that noise, I hang up.

Unless I'm in a playful mood - then I'll answer, and play along for a while. If it's a Trelstra scammer, I let them go through their whole spiel, then politely mention that we're with Optus, and that it wasn't even a good try..

If it's a Microsoft scammer, I'll start by acting dumb (Q: "Do you have any Windows open" A: "Ooh, no, it's far too cold - I even have the heater on...", etc). At some point, I'll stammer "but... but... I'm on a Mac", and make them repeat the entire spiel again.

I'll often do everything they tell me (well, let them believe I am), then it gets to a point where I've (supposedly) opened a website, and they ask what the page says - at which point I hit with them  "It says.." followed by a highly-offensive remark about them, and their parentage, then hamng up.

One rang me back, I swear he was close to tears... Got worse when i gave my opinion on the method of his conception...

Also been known to deliver the odd dreadfully racist insult and high-level coarse language - not as though they can complain to anyone.

Message 4 of 29
Latest reply

more scam calls

Your post did make me laugh.

I can't say I would ever go as far as being racist or swearing, but I did once ask a woman operator if her parents brought her up to be a liar.

My fav though is when I get 'Telstra tech dept' who say there is a problem with my connection. I once replied that we weren't with telstra and they came back with-not your home, the lines. So I just said-wonderful that you're on top of the problems with your lines. They're your responsibility, not mine, so you'll need to fix them, won't you.

But it has got me to the point that if I see a private number or number that doesn't look local to Melb, I hesitate to answer. I once answered and got an Indian voice and was almost going to hang up and it was a local chemist to say an order had come in.

Has anyone else struck 'Nicole'? She's an automated message in an aussie accent. They seem to be using her a lot too. That's an immediate hang up from me as well.

Unfortunately, these scammers do catch some people out. I was shocked a few months ago when I sent an email off to a distant cousin and got a reply that she was very stressed and trying to sort things out with her bank after she was scammed of $14,000 by 'Telstra tech dept'.

This is a very intelligent woman, let me add. Very organised, very capable and able to do intricate research when it comes to things like genealogy. Just not so computer savvy.

Message 5 of 29
Latest reply

more scam calls

@springyzone wrote:

I can't say I would ever go as far as being racist or swearing...

I figure that if they're deliberately engaging in a criminal act (ie: fraud), they pretty much deserve everything they get - no boundaries. The normal standards of decency don't apply.

KInd of like the burg-u-lar who slips and breaks his ankle while robbing your house. Too bad, so sad...

The Australian Taxation Office ones used to be good - you'd answer, get a recorded message saying that charges would be laid against you unless you called the following number immediately. Naturally, I'd ring the number. The conversations would normally go something like this:

Scammer: "Hello, Australian Taxation Office"

Me: "Yes, this is Senior Detective Jamieson of the Commonwealth Police Fraud Investigation Division, just hoping to talk to someone regarding scam calls being made involving this number".

Quick hang-up. I hit "re-dial".

Me: "Yes, Senior Detective Jamieson of the Commonwealth Police Fraud Investigation Division again - we appear to have been cut off, just wondering if I speak to someone regarding these fraud calls?".

Another hang-up. Time for the pay-off:

Me: "Senior Detective Jamieson of the Commonwealth Police Fraud Investigation Division again - seems to be a problem with the phone lines, would it be easier if I came around in person? We have your address...".

Great thing is, the business I work in has around twenty outgoing lines, so even if they block Line 1, I just make the next call from Line 2, then Line 3, etc. Hours of fun... And again, it's not as though they can report you...

A few people must be doing the call-back as "police", because the last couple of times I've done it, they've requested badge numbers!

Message 6 of 29
Latest reply

more scam calls

maxresdefault.jpg

Message 7 of 29
Latest reply

more scam calls

martinw-48
Community Member
I miss the scammers.
I used to let them go through all their rubbish and lead them on.
Loved the old problem with your computer one.
I've never had a computer.
They used to lose it when I'd constantly clean claim that the screen wasn't coming up and then I'd tell them "I know why I can't get that screen I don't even have a computer"
They'd hang up every time and I would get a little chuckle
Message 8 of 29
Latest reply

more scam calls

At the opposite end, my mother is not yet on the NBN but it will be happening soon.

She only wants a landline, no internet.  She phoned Telstra (her landline is with them) and went through the rigmarole of pressing buttons until after being on hold for a while, finally got a human. 

Telstra (femaile) employee listened to what my mother wanted.  She then asked, "Are you on the internet?"  My mother said no.  Telstra female promptly hung up!

Mum had better luck a week later, thankfully with a more helpful Telstra employee.

Message 9 of 29
Latest reply

more scam calls

new tactic (for me anyway)

today

indian caller reads out my full name and address. including my middle name

usually i just get my surname ie: is this mr ****

then into the speil

still didnt work, i let her start rattling off her lines then put the phone down and went back to doing what was before she called

Message 10 of 29
Latest reply