"Shock-Jock" Alan Jones Retires

Alan Jones, Australia's most influential radio broadcaster, will retire at the end of this month, saying doctors had told him his workload was "detrimental" to his health.

The 79-year-old 2GB breakfast host has towered over Sydney's media, and Australian politics, for decades.

His breakfast program has topped the Harbour City's radio ratings since he began in the timeslot in 2001.

During his broadcast this morning Jones told listeners: "We are living in the world of coronavirus. The most repeated statement we hear is 'we must listen to the experts'."

"Well, the experts are telling me in no uncertain terms, and not for the first time I might add, 'continuing with the present workload is seriously detrimental to your health'.

"I have listened to the experts and I am taking this opportunity to indicate to my radio family that I will be retiring from radio at the end of this month.

Despite calling quits on his radio career, Jones will continue to broadcast on Sky News and write for The Daily Telegraph and The Australian.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-05-12/alan-jones-retires-from-radio/12237330

I'll miss listening to the old bugger in the mornings!

I don't mind Ben Fordham, but I think Ray Hadley would have been a better choice,

Message 1 of 101
Latest reply
100 REPLIES 100

I won’t miss him . . . his radio show not broadcast here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZIX7cPmFYc

Message 2 of 101
Latest reply

wikipedia states 'Jones has never been married and has no children'

maybe with his money he can buy a friend to care for him as he fades away?

give it 6 months and it'll be 'alan who?'

Message 3 of 101
Latest reply

@davidc4430 wrote:

Did you read this bit?:

"Despite calling quits on his radio career, Jones will continue to broadcast on Sky News and write for The Daily Telegraph and The Australian."

I guess he won't miss getting up at 4am to drive up to Sydney to begin his breakfast show.

Message 4 of 101
Latest reply

@davidc4430 wrote:

He has never married but has had several partners of the younger male persuasion.

Message 5 of 101
Latest reply

@icyfroth wrote:

I guess he won't miss getting up at 4am to drive up to Sydney to begin his breakfast show.

He broadcasts from his private studio t his home so nothing to miss.

Message 6 of 101
Latest reply

he has been responsible for some of the trashiest and vile rants on radio. I don’t think he has ever taken responsibility for his unacceptable rants.  It has been reported that he has made apologies for some of what he has said on air . . . but if you listen carefully his apologies are mostly ‘faux’ apologies.

Using words like “if I have offended anybody then I apologise”.  That’s not an apology.  I only recall ever hearing him say something like “I was wrong, what I said was wrong, I should not have said it and I apologise unreservedly for saying it” once, all other apologies I’ve seen reported use the wish-washy “if I have offended” phrase.

His one time back-pedal big time was when he made comments on sky about Malcolm Turnbull being a “traitor to the nation” . . . probably because if he hadn’t his hop pocket would have taken a huge hit as Malcolm had the resources to see Alan taken to court for damages and, as noted by Alan, he had no basis for making that claim.

https://www.abc.net.au/mediawatch/episodes/alan/10846364

Message 7 of 101
Latest reply

@lyndal1838 wrote:

@icyfroth wrote:

He broadcasts from his private studio t his home so nothing to miss.

He's going on 80 yo fgs.

Message 8 of 101
Latest reply

@k1ooo-slr-sales wrote:

he has been responsible for some of the trashiest and vile rants on radio. I don’t think he has ever taken responsibility for his unacceptable rants.  It has been reported that he has made apologies for some of what he has said on air . . . but if you listen carefully his apologies are mostly ‘faux’ apologies.

Using words like “if I have offended anybody then I apologise”.  That’s not an apology.  I only recall ever hearing him say something like “I was wrong, what I said was wrong, I should not have said it and I apologise unreservedly for saying it” once, all other apologies I seen reported use the wish-washy “if I have offended” phrase.

His one time back-pedal big time was when he made comments on sky about Malcolm Turnbull being a “traitor to the nation” . . . probably because if he hadn’t his hop pocket would have taken a huge hit as Malcolm had the resources to see Alan taken to court for damages and, as noted by Alan, he had no basis for making that claim.

https://www.abc.net.au/mediawatch/episodes/alan/10846364

"The 79-year-old 2GB breakfast host has towered over Sydney's media, and Australian politics, for decades.

His breakfast program has topped the Harbour City's radio ratings since he began in the timeslot in 2001."

Message 9 of 101
Latest reply

According to google he earnt $2739/day , ie $1.90/minute. 

He won't starve. 

Message 10 of 101
Latest reply