"Some Rapes are Worst than Others"

http://www.dailylife.com.au/news-and-views/news-features/richard-dawkins-claims-some-rapes-are-worse...

Prominent atheist and academic Richard Dawkins has found himself in the middle of a Twitter firestorm after claiming that some types of rape are “worse” than others.

The backlash on Dawkins’ comments was powerful and swift. Some twitter users accused the 73-year-old of being “a danger to women”, others urging him to “go away and learn compassion”.

Shami Chakrabarti, a spokesperson from The End Violence Against Women Coalition, toldThe Telegraph that his words were “not merely ignorant but extremely offensive”.  “I know there are men of a certain generation who just clunk around on this subject but it’s really not good enough. It sends a very bad signal."

Do you agree that some rapes are worst than others?

Message 1 of 24
Latest reply
23 REPLIES 23

j*oono
Community Member

Yes, I do think that some rapes are worse than others.

Joono
Message 2 of 24
Latest reply

I think when you are the one being raped then is no rape worse than yours. being violated is being violated.
Message 3 of 24
Latest reply

I stalled at giving my opinion on this, but then thought about it again. NO, a rape is is rape. Some get more attention in the Media, but none the less whenever it happens, it still a rape.  Watch the Jodie Foster movie The Accused 1988 and see how you feel then. 😞 

Message 4 of 24
Latest reply

There's not enough information to judge what he said as being right or wrong.

There probably are rapes that would appear to be more horrendous than some others, depending on the level of depravity or violence involved.  However, that doesn't minimise the rape of another person.  All rape is wrong and traumatic.

Message 5 of 24
Latest reply

chuk_77
Community Member

worse?

and is this a bit deja vu? Did you not have this thread not all that long ago?

Message 6 of 24
Latest reply

I am sure that Bob wouldn't debate that rape is not always wrong and traumatic.

But I agree that there are different degrees of rape dependant on intent.

If a woman plays with a guy she is out with and he misreads her intentions, he may also mistake her last minute decision to say 'no' as not really an intended no. Of course it is still rape but to was that his intention?

If a man chances upon a woman alone and rapes her without premeditation and then runs off, then that is very different to the first scenario.

If a man goes out looking for a woman to rape then his intention is on another level altogether. Follow that up with other physical violence or intention to take her life, then you have the most serious kind of rape imaginable.

Interestingly, I was recently having a discussion about Rolf Harris and his gaol sentence and comparing that to the leniency of rape convictions. The average rape conviction in Victoria is 4 years. Harris was given 5 years even though he did not rape anyone.

There is an underimportance given to the act of rape that doesn't make sense when compared to other crimes.

Message 7 of 24
Latest reply

Harleybabe, I didn't see that any rape was not horrible, violent and horrendous.  I just think that some are worse than others.

Raping children or a 9 month old baby or a gang rape by a bunch of drunken yobbos is in my mind a hell of a lot worse than having a vinegar stroke rape on a date.  A vile saying but you know what I mean.

Joono
Message 8 of 24
Latest reply

I know you didn't but I disagree with you. As I said I don't think one is worse than another especially when you are the one being raped. Let's hope you are never raped and someone dismisses your rape as not as bad as someone else's
Message 9 of 24
Latest reply

If all rapes are the same, then why aren't all prison sentences for rape the same?

Joono
Message 10 of 24
Latest reply