"The poor don't drive cars..."

Or they "don't drive far". according tothe dumbest treasurer in Australias history, Mr Hockey.

Whatever accusations can be levellled at the Labor Party, NOTHING beats the idiocy of this government. NOTHING!

This statement (and the many other like it) just keep showing them up as a bunch of out of touch, foot in mouth, ridiculous morons.

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/hockeys-poor-dont-drive-claim-fuels-row-201408...

Message 1 of 12
Latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Poor people don't drive far coz they can't afford the petrol costs now....

makes me feel ashamed to be an Australian.

Message 2 of 12
Latest reply

Hoe Jockey is a political fool and an AH of a man IMO.

http://www.macrobusiness.com.au/2014/08/hockey-threatens-emergency-austerity/

Why can’t we just have % of total budget spend built into the constitution for health, education, investment, etc.

Then if the total budget to spend goes up, the static % remains but the $ goes up. And reverse when there is less to spend.

Then all you have to do is get the ‘Total Amount’ through the senate, without all the petty debate line by line.

It is then up to the Minister responsible for each portfolio to make it work.

If the % have to change due to society factors (aging population. etc.) then it can only be done by a referendum.

We all have computers, we all like to be interactive. Australians could electronically vote on many issues much more frequently. But then the Liberals can’t simply ‘lose boxes of paper’ to get into seats illegally then……

Time to embrace the Future Republic.

Private debt is more of a problem then public debt, I can’t cite figures because I’m on the train home but private debt is the bigger enemy because it sucks money out of the wider economy. Think of it as a big bucket with money pooring in and private debt is a giant hole at the bottom.

Australia and most of the world use a fiat type of currency, backed by governments, this system really does create money from thin air if you want to get to the crux of it through the selling a purchasing of government bonds. inflation is controlled by the supply and demand of credit. Which has aided Australia and the rest of the world in setting such living standards that we enjoy. Technically the Australian gov can never go broke, only inflation is the worry but at 2.5% that is not a problem.

.............................................................................................................................................................................

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lIdHNqX71Y

Resilience Group - Economic Outlook with Richard Duncan 1:01:58

watch from 54mins 24 secs onwards

.................................................................................................

Message 3 of 12
Latest reply

He also said that it is obvious that rich people have more cars, so they use more petrol driving them.  Yes, right, when I go out today I will drive 2 cars rather than just take one. 

This is just another way to make poor people poorer.  On the other hand, it will force more people to use public transport, which is good, but tough luck for people who live in areas with no public transport, and people who cannot get to work on public transport.

000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

Voltaire: “Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities” .
Message 4 of 12
Latest reply

Another example also of how statistics and research don't work.  Hockey says poor spend between 16.00 and 53.00 for petrol a week.  They obviously didn't do much research in rural, remote or overlying areas.  People who can not live close to the city or close to major areas because they can't afford it can pay triple or more of what he has quoted. 

He is on another planet and so out of touch it is unbelievable

Message 5 of 12
Latest reply

It really dos not matter how much people spend in $, what matters is the proportion of their income.  Hockey will not comprehend that if somebody's fuel bill goes up, let's say by $5 a week, that means $5 less groceries, and if one week the poor family also has to see a doctor, pay for some medication, drive to get an xray, there might be no money for food left at all.

000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

Voltaire: “Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities” .
Message 7 of 12
Latest reply

Oh fair whack of the Hock Strap SNova......me thinks you under estimate our illustrious Treasurer. I am sure that he would comprehend all this by equating $5.00 as enough to buy two beers.......at 2004 prices or something LOLSmiley LOL

The Health Effects of Two Beers Per Day

Two beers a day can add a lot of calories to your diet..........*oops!

Message 8 of 12
Latest reply

LOL!!!  well his figures are 2009/10 anyway so I wonder how that looks in 2014.  Oh exactly Martini and not only that but if they have to do work for the dole and education its expensive.  It cost me 70 a week roughly to go to a town an hour away so my girls can access Tafe.  Once the PES is gone and if this happens, we won't be able to take them. So I wonder how many others will be facing the same oir similar  circumstances?

Message 9 of 12
Latest reply

image.jpg

Message 10 of 12
Latest reply