there is no such thing as race

Scientists long ago proved that race is not a biological reality but a myth, a socially constructed concept. Yet, despite the data, human beings have been programmed to associate specific things to certain "racial groups"; things like intelligence, work ethic, family values, and behavior. As such, we have been brainwashed to think that some groups are inherently better than others, and that the White race -- to be frank -- is better than all.

Racism is no longer about race (skin color) but culture. People are Othered and discriminated against not (simply) because of the color of their skin (or other phenotypes) but because of their beliefs and practices associated with some "imagined culture."

Cultural racism, therefore, happens when certain people perceive their beliefs and customs as being culturally superior to the beliefs and customs of other groups of people.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/craig-considine/muslims-are-not-a-race_b_8591660.html

000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

Voltaire: “Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities” .
Message 1 of 10
Latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

@***super_nova*** wrote:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/craig-considine/muslims-are-not-a-race_b_8591660.html

Some articles by the same author Craig Considine:

Muslims Aren't A Race, So I Can't Be Racist, Right? Wrong.

Why a Christian Can View Muhammad As A Prophet

It's Time For A Million Man March in Solidarity With Muslims

What Trump and His Supporters Can Learn From Muslim Leaders

Why White Men Are "Gunmen" and Muslim Men Are "Terrorists"

From Catholicism to Atheism to Islam and Back to Catholicism

Christians and Muslims Should Embrace "The Jihad of Jesus"

The Price I Pay For Respecting Islam

Craig Considine also believes that a man of average weight (about 95kg) walked on water and also had not one but two lives. What if we told Craig Considine that there is no such thing as God.

Message 2 of 10
Latest reply

@***super_nova*** wrote:

Scientists long ago proved that race is not a biological reality but a myth, a socially constructed concept. Yet, despite the data, human beings have been programmed to associate specific things to certain "racial groups"; things like intelligence, work ethic, family values, and behavior. As such, we have been brainwashed to think that some groups are inherently better than others, and that the White race -- to be frank -- is better than all.

Racism is no longer about race (skin color) but culture. People are Othered and discriminated against not (simply) because of the color of their skin (or other phenotypes) but because of their beliefs and practices associated with some "imagined culture."

Cultural racism, therefore, happens when certain people perceive their beliefs and customs as being culturally superior to the beliefs and customs of other groups of people.

Racism is about different understandings

Photobucket
Message 3 of 10
Latest reply

johcaschro
Community Member

Supernova wrote . . .

"Racism is no longer about race (skin color) but culture. People are Othered and discriminated against not (simply) because of the color of their skin (or other phenotypes) but because of their beliefs and practices associated with some "imagined culture."

Cultural racism, therefore, happens when certain people perceive their beliefs and customs as being culturally superior to the beliefs and customs of other groups of people."

We discriminate every day with regard to the behavior of people and their values and ideals and beliefs. Our prisons are full of such people who rob or rape or cheat and defraud and think it's quite ok to do so. Our prisons contain people who have murdered or assaulted others.

I quite happily discriminate against such people who are so antisocial as to pose a danger to the rest of us if left free to act out their particular cultural beliefs of crime and violence.

There's nothing wrong with calling out any particular culture and criticising it if it itself teaches that discrimination is ok or that violence towards others who differ in their beliefs is ok or  say, for example, teaching that women are to be regarded as second class citizens, just because they are women.

I think I can happily call out a culture which refuses my right to choose my own religion and to freely swap and change it at my own free will.

I can happily call out and criticise an outlaw motorcycle gang culture which practises extortion and violence and the selling of dangerous, addictive health-destroying drugs.

I can quite happily criticise any culture or cultural system which espouses ideas which are contrary to those held dear and sacred by the Siècle des Lumières (Century of Enlightenment)

That's my cultural belief and I'm sticking to it. all cultures are not equal and nor do all cultures deserve equal regard. Some cultures are admirable and some are outright execrable.

So if I'm a cultural "racist" then so be it. I'm not going to go about making excuses for "cultures" which teach that, for example, misogyny or violence or religious intolerance is ok. I'm not going to be all touchy feely and culturally tolerant of another culture which insists that the only law of the land should be a religious law and not a civil law system.

I don't care what people look like or about what thoughts and beliefs they hold in their heads, just so long as those beliefs and cultural ideas don't get acted out so as to deliver violence and compulsion and misogyny on those who value their own particular cultural difference.

I don't care what people believe; I care about how they behave in our poor attempt at a truly egalitarian and civilised society.

Message 4 of 10
Latest reply

"A group of women fed up with violence in their remote community say they are scared for their lives and the future of the town’s children.

Members of the new group are meeting with a government delegation in Aurukun on Thursday to discuss recent social unrest in the Cape York Indigenous community.

“They need to stop this behaviour so our children grow up not thinking this is the norm,” said grandmother Phyllis Yunkaporta, who started the group two weeks ago. “What can [the delegation] put in place?"

http://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2016/feb/04/we-fear-for-our-lives-women-demand-end-to-cape...

They need to stop this behaviour so our children grow up not thinking this is the norm

Some cultures need to stop teaching the ideas and the attitudes which influence the behavoirs which lead to discrimination, oppression and violence.

Some "cultures" need to take a good hard look at themselves in the mirror. Some other "cultures" need to do the same and refrain from tolerating the barbarity of other "cultures" in an effort to appear to be politically correct and demonstrative of empathetic "understanding".

Some "cultures" need to stop being so greedy and barbaric as to bomb their way into positive balance in their political and bank accounts at the expense of other, less powerful cultures' interests.

If there's a commonality in peoples' cultural beliefs, it seems to be one which places the self first and foremost and be damned to everyone else.

Message 5 of 10
Latest reply

Except you totally missunderstood what the article is about. 

000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

Voltaire: “Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities” .
Message 6 of 10
Latest reply

@donnashuggy wrote:

@***super_nova*** wrote:

Racism is about different understandings

What a load of codswallop.

Race is about different breeds of human according to geography.

Racism only occurs when different sets of race clash with another as in invasion/war, or forced settlement.

Otherwise the different races quite happily live in their own regions and interact with each other in trade or immigration in limited numbers.

Message 7 of 10
Latest reply

Scientists long ago proved that race is not a biological reality but a myth, a socially constructed concept.

scientists did no such thing.

(agree with a lot of the comments

in your link, under the article)

Message 8 of 10
Latest reply

Supernova wrote . . ." Except you totally missunderstood what the article is about."

Maybe you misunderstood what my reply was all about.

I take exception to the term "Islamaphobia" (which was used in the article you linked to)

A phobia is an unreasonable fear or dread of something. A fear which has no rational basis in fact for existing.

I actually bear no such fear of Islam, though I do bear a very strong antipathy towards it and my antipathy is based on very sound and strong reasons. My antipathy towards Islam  springs from what Islam teaches and the messages and attitudes which it promotes.

It's a perfectly rational antipathy. It is not a fear and I strongly reject the labelling of "Islamaphobe".

If you want an example of "othering" of people and of discriminating against them then the use of this emotive and inaccurate term Islamaphobe, is a very good example of this process.

Islam has rightfully earned the antipathy of many western people (rightly in my view because of what it teaches) and by extension, Muslims have also earned this antipathy (wrongly, in my view).

It's important to separate out the criticism of the culture, the teachings, the messages and the attitudes from criticism of the people.

It's a fine line to draw but it's not impossible.

It's a weak and ineffectual and an intellectually lazy argument to dismiss legitimate concerns and criticisms about Islam by using emotive and uninformed labels such as "Islamaphobe" and "racist".

Message 9 of 10
Latest reply

Great post Jo and free of the emotive rubbish that's served up here as knowledge.

Message 10 of 10
Latest reply