when did we become slobs?

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-12-27/coogee-beach-booze-ban-after-disgraceful-christmas-day/8149670

there is allways a 'few' that do the wrong thing but this is just rediculous!

Message 1 of 29
Latest reply
28 REPLIES 28

It's shameful - but you know if we walk along the walkway at our local river bank the bins are

few and far between. People are just lazy grubs who won't walk to find a bin for their rubish

same as the dog business people don't bother picking up if they can get away with it.  I

often wonder what their homes are like.

Message 2 of 29
Latest reply

We have  a Drinking ban on the beaches here in NZ, Christmas and New Year.

People are just disgusting leaving their rubbish and trashing beaches where families may want to take their children the next day.

also every dog owner has to carry that poo bag

Message 3 of 29
Latest reply

Message 4 of 29
Latest reply

@myoclon1cjerk wrote:

was that when the first mcdonalds wrapper was left on a beach?

Message 5 of 29
Latest reply

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

I'm not sure that Australians have become slobs....I know I haven't.

That article indicates the fault lies with backpackers from the local hostels, not the locals.

Until Randwick Council makes all it's beaches Alcohol Free Zones the "merry makers" will just move on to the next one.

It has already been done to Bondi, Bronte and Tamarama, now Coogee.  I suspect Maroubra may be the next beach targetted.

Message 6 of 29
Latest reply

well it would be good if every person who in the future complains about the 'nanny state' get given a copy of this story with the photos.

Message 7 of 29
Latest reply

Are you saying that the Council should not have taken the action that it did?

Unfortunately the action was taken for the good of the local residents.   They pay sky high Council rates and expect to be be able to use the beaches without fear of injuries from rubbish left behind by other users.

Both my sets of grandparents moved to Maroubra in th early 1900s.....my parents moved from there in 1967and my maternal grandmother died in 1986 so they saw the sort of destruction of the beaches that had to be repaired by the council over the years.

By the 1960s Randwick Council rates were some 50% higher than Rockdale Council...a council whose area was just south of Randwick but did not contain as many popular surf beaches.   The council made it very clear that the upkeep of the beaches was responsible for the high rates.

Message 8 of 29
Latest reply

It's digusting. Very easy to blame the backpackers, but it's not all them. The Aussies are giving them a bad example.

Here on the North Shore of Sydney, people flock down to the harbour to watch the fireworks, and who could blame them?

There's a total ban on alcohol, and bags are searched at the barriers, but it still gets through, evidenced by the large amount of empty bottles left behind.

The amount of  trash left on the normally beautiful public areas is astonishing and sickening.

It's actually amazing how quickly the council have the area cleaned and restored to it's normal beauty.

Message 9 of 29
Latest reply

Yet if this was at the Melbourne Cup, media would be reporting it as a great Australian tradition of Aussies having good harmless fun.celebrating an important event

There is a lot of hypocrisy around this sort of behavior.

It is going to happen and is more a matter as to whether the authorities have predicted it and are prepared in advance toi clean up the evidence aftrewards

-------------------------------

ASSUMPTION IS THE MOTHER OF ALL STUFF UPS!!
Message 10 of 29
Latest reply