EBAY Policy garbage around updating email address

sjmatth
Community Member

Hi,

OId email account is deactivated, no longer can recieve or send emails, or log into it.

Created my ebay account 14 years ago, can still log in through google federated login, but cant update my email to current gmail, as only verification is through my old deactived email.

Advice from the CS is to create a new ebay account, no other recourse.

update your policy to allow other authentication methods.

Have a nice day,

Cheers,

View Entire Topic

Note: you're not contacting eBay by posting on these boards. They are public forums on which any eBay member can post, and the responders are, like you, fellow eBay members who give voluntary helpful advice and information.

I didn’t see your post before it was moderated - so I can only speculate about how abusive or rude it was. 

No one here has any power or authority to change eBay policy. It would make as much sense for me to demand that you fix the faulty water valve in front of a property of mine.

In any event, one of eBay’s security measures is to approve a change of email address in the account by requiring the account holder to confirm this via the current email address. It isn’t unreasonable; before you dump an old email address, make sure you change details in any associated accounts. There are too many instances of email accounts being hacked to gain access to accounts that are used to buy and sell, and might have your financial information saved.

Would you rather find that someone had hacked your eBay account and sold fake or stolen or nonexistent items on it? Or bought thousands of dollars’-worth of items with your linked PayPal account?

If you want to use eBay, I can only echo the suggestion that you start again from scratch, and use a gmail or hotmail/live account for eBay to which you will always have access, even if you change providers or whatever it may be.