Scam notice. 2010 caravan for sale. Aud 6100 on marketplace/eBay

laffli2
Community Member

Hi all,
We just received same same emails when communicating this morning with REMOVED, currently at Royal Air force and about to be deployed and just got the caravan after a divorce so needs to sell within 10 days to leave cash for her mother instead of a caravan she doesn't use. Very good pictures .it was too good to be true. I'm grateful I found this forum to get alerted of this scam. Cheers. LL

Message 1 of 6
Latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Yep, hugely common scam

person uses many different names but similar story every time, and the car/caravan/etc also changes 

Message 2 of 6
Latest reply

Saw the same advertisement on Marketplace myself last night, 31/3, about the Daintree Roadster caravan, $6100, which I'm pretty sure was listed last week for $9500. So I sent an email, got one back same story as when "she" was selling the Toyota Hilux, word for word. Sent another this time "she" said Ebay was handling the deal. Checked on Ebay couldn't find anything, emailed "her" asked for the " link" so I could see her listing...no reply....then I found you guys, 

Thanks 

Message 3 of 6
Latest reply

A very popular scam, good to know you were savvy enough to check it, some have not been so astute and have lost a lot of money.

Message 4 of 6
Latest reply

bebe779743
Community Member

I found the same advertisement, person was advertising for his 'Mum' but it said he was on vacation mode. It said to email a "Letty Smith's Gmail account.

I wanted to come check it out the very next day. I got a reply, saying "Sorry, I made a mistake. Ebay was handling the sale and she was at at Military base waiting to ve deployed, she got caravan as part of her divorce settlement. But wants the money to go to her mother who is looking after her two children while she goes overseas with Military! 

That Ebay was handling sale and she would be handling shipment. That I would have 5 days to inspect caravan and if im happy with sale, she would not receive money until I contact Ebay and happy with the purchase. Then they would release money to her and I would receive all paperwork, roadworthy certificates, rego etc.

I've purchased things on ebay before and said that I have, but have always gone through PayPal.. 

Was going to do a bit more investigations before I done anything.. and asked where the caravan was located to have a look first.. 

But thought it all seemed fishy, so seeing as I came across this first, don't really need to look into it any more! 

Definitely a scam! 

Message 5 of 6
Latest reply

Yes, definitely a scam, as you say, and very common too.

Message 6 of 6
Latest reply