How to cancel postage when customer picks up

l have sold an item and the customer paid for postage but now will be picking it up tomorrow. l am happy to pay her cash as a postage refund, but how do l account to ebay for not posting the item?
This must happen to others, but l have searched and searched but cannot find any advice on what to do! lt's very frustrating.
Would be very grateful if anyone could help.

Message 1 of 17
Latest reply
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

To prove pick-up, you need to scan a QR code provided to the buyer at the time of the sale.

To the best of my knowledge, that code will not be provided retrospectively. It is only generated if you listed the item as a pickup item and buyer selected this option.

Without the code, buyer can claim INR and will be fully refunded; you’d lose the case without proof of tracked postage showing delivery.

You should not give the buyer a cash refund if they’ve paid by PayPal. Same method should be used to refund as was used to pay.

Your options are really limited here. Were I you, I’d tell the buyer pickup isn’t available in the circumstances. If the buyer wants to pick up, say you will fully refund, relist it with pickup, and they can purchase and pay you with cash tomorrow… and remind them to bring that QR code with them.

https://www.ebay.com.au/help/selling/shipping-items/setting-shipping-options/local-pickup?id=4181

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 17
Latest reply

@karen_karpet wrote:

I'd be more concerned about ebay's requirement for the seller to upload tracking if tracking was advertised. It could result in a defect.

Did you read the accepted solution?

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 17
Latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

To prove pick-up, you need to scan a QR code provided to the buyer at the time of the sale.

To the best of my knowledge, that code will not be provided retrospectively. It is only generated if you listed the item as a pickup item and buyer selected this option.

Without the code, buyer can claim INR and will be fully refunded; you’d lose the case without proof of tracked postage showing delivery.

You should not give the buyer a cash refund if they’ve paid by PayPal. Same method should be used to refund as was used to pay.

Your options are really limited here. Were I you, I’d tell the buyer pickup isn’t available in the circumstances. If the buyer wants to pick up, say you will fully refund, relist it with pickup, and they can purchase and pay you with cash tomorrow… and remind them to bring that QR code with them.

https://www.ebay.com.au/help/selling/shipping-items/setting-shipping-options/local-pickup?id=4181

Message 2 of 17
Latest reply

That is all great advice; now l know my options.
Thank you very, very much!

Message 3 of 17
Latest reply

If you go through with the pickup using the current sale only refund the postage via ebay and just select postage adjustment and enter the amount.

Rarely do things go wrong with pickups like this but it does happen but usually it happens with items that tend to attract that sought of buyer that will try and claim non delivery.

You can also have them sign a copy of the invoice and ask to sight their drivers licence which is what many businesses do when an item has been paid for. 

Message 4 of 17
Latest reply

I'd be more concerned about ebay's requirement for the seller to upload tracking if tracking was advertised. It could result in a defect.

Message 5 of 17
Latest reply

@karen_karpet wrote:

Message 6 of 17
Latest reply

Thank you for your response.
I have cancelled the order, and worked out a solution with the customer.

Message 7 of 17
Latest reply

Thank you for your response.
I have now cancelled the order, and worked out a solution with the customer.

Message 8 of 17
Latest reply

@repentatleisure1952 wrote:

@karen_karpet wrote:

Wow,  thats a bit of a Karen comment,  sure the OP may have accepted another solution,  but it is still a valid comment that Karen_Karpet has made.  Remember other people read these threads and may have gone with one of the other solutions suggested.   Why so grumpy, for a valid comment.

Message 9 of 17
Latest reply

Did you relist as pick up only for the buyer to purchase.

Message 10 of 17
Latest reply