eBay managed payments , AFCA , Ayden and accountability

cft207
Community Member

Just a note to those who may still be concerned about issues related to eBay managed payment system, Ayden , and accountability.

Having been left out to dry recently regarding a PayPal chargeback on behalf of eBay buyer I went down the AFCA case route with the only entity involved who is registered with AFCA...PayPal. 

Although the issue is resolved I had a long chat with AFCA rep about how current eBay transactions are handled, and by what entities. He found it concerning enough to want to pursue further with his team leader, and took detailed notes about various transaction scenarios.

Given this, should anyone else be concerned or inclined, now would be a good time to contact AFCA about such concerns as they've told me before that they act upon frequency of complaints when new issues arise.

In my recent case Paypal, who had instigated the chargeback on behalf of buyer, told AFCA that they have no legal obligations given the payment the buyer made went straight to my bank account. These are the AFCA rep's words which I think may have been a little mixed as I think PayPal may have been shirking responsibility as they didn't send money to me personally. They sent moneys to Ayden / eBay.

eBay isn't registered with or answerable to AFCA, which makes sense.
Ayden isn't registered with or answerable to AFCA, which I don't totally understand given they are handling substantial  financial transactions in Australia, and they are a " global payments company that processes payments for some of the world's leading online services"
and PayPal, who is accountable to AFCA, has trained staff to quote their "out clause" given the way moneys now jump between various accounts & entities before landing with recipients.

When managed payments first started  I mentioned a sleight of hand, and I believe I have experienced it again herein.

Of course if eBay provided  legitimate protections for buyers and sellers then perhaps the issue would not be as alarming. My seller assistance in this recent scenario was riddled  with incorrect and vague advice, and then inevitably eBay said it is out of their hands as a financial institution has instigated a chargeback, which in fact has nothing to do with eBay !

Once more the shuffle : Paypal chargeback would have to be against Ayden I figure as that's where the initial  payment route was. As a member though I cannot deal with Ayden, I cannot hold them accountable with AFCA, in normal circumstances I'm not advised as to what financial institution has started the chargeback, and cannot get help from eBay. The final link in the chain, my personal bank account, only sees transaction to and fro from Ayden, with no other  information.

These guys would do well to market a hand wash called Pontius Pilate.

View Entire Topic

Thanks for the Info. I am also looking into this situation myself.