TEMU is cleaning up, I think we should be afraid. What do others think.

I have bought quite a lot of clothes recently from TEMU. 

The prices are ridiculously cheap and you only have to spend $15 to get free postage.

Perhaps they are doing a Bunnings and wiping out all the competition.

Basically I rarely sell clothes myself, but what are other sellers thoughts on this?

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

I wouldn’t buy from Temu in a pink paisley fit.

Why would you give your information to the Chinese government?

Answers (9)

Answers (9)

Yes, they are hot competition.

They are advertising a lot. They are a Chinese company so I have read & I have also heard they are a cyber security risk as your details & the details of a lot of other customers are with them & potentially the Chinese Government. I can't vouch for that bit, it is just what I have heard.

They don't just sell clothes either.

I think a lot of people will chase price over quality.

But facebook marketplace is also booming.

I doubt everyone will buy from temu, they aren't going to wipe out all the competition.

If you look at the ownership and the history of the connected companies, and ask yourself why Temu are so aggressively advertising all over the internet and specifically to Australians in Australian advertising spaces right now, you may be as convinced as I am that there is a very obvious and worrying answer.

Information and identity are valuable commodities. Foreign governments who don’t respect the personal information of others in other countries - who are unequivocally known to sponsor hacking and spying and trying to influence politics of other countries - are not governments to whom I wish to surrender any of my details or habits or preferences or likings or weaknesses or patterns or connections. 

Australians are unfortunately known to be a soft target. Just dangle cheap prices like nicely baited hooks in the sea of e-commerce and watch the little fishies leap into those hooks…? That’s not how I want Australians to act or to be perceived. I can only control my behaviour… and mention my concerns in the hope of persuading others to be wary … but I fear that nothing I say will outdo those glistening lures of cheap tat and in-your-face advertising.

They have the usual cheap Chinese items you can mostly also find on eBay at the same price anyway if they come from China (I even checked some random items). Or on AliExpress (which I have never used).

Nothing really new or extraordinary.

No, I would not buy from them (and I did see a lot of ads).

It's a huge - NO - from me.

What is the quality like on the clothing? My impression of TEMU is that they are selling low quality products.

I would not touch that scammer site if you paid for everything for me

Garbage scammers at that

My sales have dropped into submission now and I am looking for work because of it. I blame Temu and everyone who says do you think temu is taking our sales is correct. But that shouldn't be followed up by I bought this from temu and they gave me free freight. Everyone who buys from temu is not only hurting every small business, Manufacturer, side hustle, ebay seller, Amazon seller and alike. They are hurting themselves too. It's true temu sells your data makes more put of that and the Chinese government subsidise the Chinese manufacturer to a point by giving virtually free freight on their end and Australia post give virtually free freight to China on our end so us the ebay community have no choice but to fold in the end. Remember it's only been a couple of years since temu started and already they take over a billion dollar from Aussie consumers. Add wish and aliexpress and alibaba and you now have many billions given to China on the retail side every year. Add Austposts recent price increases and you will see that triple this next year. And given the fact your data is sold on top of that and Ebay aren't even thinking about dropping the fees or transaction fee of 33c we the seller is charged everytime someone makes a purchase on ebay which is absurd. We are all stuffed and it's indisputable.

I've bought a few things from Temu, mainly hobby stuff but not clothes. I pay via PayPal which is what I do for 99.9% of my online purchases. You have to sift through a lot of chaff to get to the wheat as there is a lot of tat on the platform. Will they clean up, no I don't think so. People expected Amazon Australia to fail and it's still going strong..

I have bought from Temu at least 5 times (for items I can't get here). At first I was iffy....but have found that all products I have ordered are spot on. The only complaint I have is that they don't package well, and just stuff into a bag, with no protection (but my items have all survived)......I would never buy anything that is glass or breakable.....and they deliver 24/7