A thought about postage via Ebay / Paypal

A thought about postage via EBAY/ PAYPAL.

Now that we are being encouraged to use labels printed at home and paid for via paypal what is the future for small post offices.

I am currently using a small post office as it is closest to me. It is an LPO.

While posting items, there are often other ebayers there so it would be safe to assume that Ebay makes a significant part of their business.

So if we all start using the Ebay postage method what will happen to small LPO's ?

If a small struggling post office loses ten percent of their income will they be able to continue business. Will this lead to a loss of small post offices?

Is it like Coles and Woolworths closing out other independant retailers?

I also pay bills etc at the post office so will it mean another institution will be lost for us or provide less service?

Do we all prefer to provide an income for a little local person who may well use our business and services or do we have to add to the global wealth of an already huge corporation?  So will my local chicken shop close because the postie will not buy a chicken on the way home? Along with the 50 customers who will have to go elsewhere?

And is Ebay postage more or less expensive than currently available services?

Message 1 of 7
Latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

I am not 100% sure but I think that when the LPO scans the item they get paid the percentage.

Message 2 of 7
Latest reply

I for one will continue to use the local P.O.

Message 3 of 7
Latest reply

When click & send first started the advice was to put straight into the box and there was no code for the PO to scan them in and they didn't get paid anything if they did give you a lodgement receipt which of course was needed for Paypal.

As it soon became obvious that they needed to be scanned in AP created a code for them and you now have the protection you need as long as you lodge over the counter, the PO get a small payment for each parcel scanned just as they do for the ordinary parcels and satchels.

So in other words it won't make any difference to the POs.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 4 of 7
Latest reply

Oz post offices do not get any percentage for anything that is not paid at their counter.. I asked my guy last week s i wanted to make sure he got a cut of my satchels for his excellent no cubing deal he gives me.. his answer was they get stuff all from prepays
Message 5 of 7
Latest reply

what about the printed labels from ebay and c&s?

Message 6 of 7
Latest reply

MY local bloke told me they do indeed get a (small) payment for processing click & send parcels.

Plus he knows if he won't process them, I won't buy envelopes, newspapers or smokes from him.

Win-win.

Message 7 of 7
Latest reply