ANYONE ELSE EXPERIENCED THIS WITH A BUYER?

Buyer bid on numerous items then contacted me for quick same day pick up (instead of paying postage) and wanted cash payment. - I've had 2 of these today!!  Very suspicious, both keen to get to your house to pick up, feels like they are just going the 'case the joint'.  Have heard of people being robbed after an eBay pick up - anyone else experience this?  PS I cancelled all their bids, as they had incomplete address and details (couldn't verify the buyer).

Message 1 of 10
Latest reply
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

I hope you are prepared for the negatives you are likely to get.

Do you realise that you have no way of knowing the buyer's address until they go through checkout to pay.  You don't have to verify the buyer...just post to the address that you are given in paypal when they pay.   It may not even be the name and address of the person who bought the item.

Cash on pick up is very safe....if you did not want to allow them to come to your home you could have arranged to meet the buyer somewhere.  Have you ever thought that they might be loath to have the items posted this close to Christmas, especially if they live close enough to pick them up?

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 10
Latest reply

Don't meet them at your house arrange to meet them in a public place . Post office is a good place.

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 10
Latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

I hope you are prepared for the negatives you are likely to get.

Do you realise that you have no way of knowing the buyer's address until they go through checkout to pay.  You don't have to verify the buyer...just post to the address that you are given in paypal when they pay.   It may not even be the name and address of the person who bought the item.

Cash on pick up is very safe....if you did not want to allow them to come to your home you could have arranged to meet the buyer somewhere.  Have you ever thought that they might be loath to have the items posted this close to Christmas, especially if they live close enough to pick them up?

Message 2 of 10
Latest reply

I get several pick up's per week, never had a problem.Smiley Happy

Message 3 of 10
Latest reply

I failed to say they won 1 of the 11 items they bid on and the invoice address was missing street name and email from eBay to advise they won had a different suburb for the address - that's suspicous to me.  Have since looked at their membership and they had different ID last month that is now closed.

Agree re organising to meet somewhere other than home for pick up - will do so for all pick ups in future.  Good advice.

Message 4 of 10
Latest reply

When a member changes their ID, their previous ID becomes defunct. Naturally.

Maybe online selling is not for you.

Message 5 of 10
Latest reply

Don't meet them at your house arrange to meet them in a public place . Post office is a good place.
Message 6 of 10
Latest reply

I don't really see your problem or why you needed to cancel their bids. . If you didn't offer pick up and don't want to do it, just tell them so?

Message 7 of 10
Latest reply

1. I always try to pick up local items as postage can add a significant cost, with a small possibility of damage or loss in transit. 2.  I've had no problems with people collecting from my home for items I've sold on ebay and other sites. You can always handle the transaction outside the front door. And leave a "talk station" radio on inside to appear there are other people ihome. 3. Pick up allows a buyer to inspect the item for accuracy of the adverisement. I once cancelled a purchase on pick up. Item had significant damage not mentioned in the ad. Contacted ebay and they sorted it. Although the SELLER still  LIED on the reasons for the cancellation.

Message 8 of 10
Latest reply

why not offer to drop it off!

Message 9 of 10
Latest reply

I offer to drop off to local people, or meet them down the street somewhere. I don't want people coming to my house. Not because I'm worried about my safety, I just don't want people coming to my house (especially when the front yard is like it is at the moment with 3 foot weeds!!!).

Message 10 of 10
Latest reply