AP Charges on RTS Parcels

I know this has been discussed before, I was actually trying to dig up one of the older threads as I seem to recall there once being a link posted to an AP page that mentioned articles can be RTS without cost, but I can't seem to find that... (if this page still exists and someone has a link to it, I would be very appreciative ๐Ÿ™‚ ). 

Otherwise, is anyone able to shed some light on any official Aus Post guides, or regulations, conditions etc, that can show explicitly what / when / how these charges can be applied (general service terms, I mean, rather than anything written into something like an eParcel contract).

A lot of Aus Post guides mention a 'General Guide' when referencing the existence of policies surrounding undeliverable and returned mail, (named General Post guide (8837578) ), but a thorough search for this guide with no success makes me think it's either old / deleted, or non-existant entirely. If the former, and anyone has a downloaded copy of the PDF, I'd really love a copy if willing to send it through to me somehow. 

Message 1 of 11
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

The general "guide" can be accessed by clicking on the terms and conditions link at the very very bottom of the Australia Post web page.

https://auspost.com.au/terms-conditions/general-terms-conditions

It was updated ealier this year (April 2016) by the looks of it. 

Edited to note looks like they have bung a charge on RTS for parcel post and express post according to clause 26.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 11
Latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

The general "guide" can be accessed by clicking on the terms and conditions link at the very very bottom of the Australia Post web page.

Edited to note looks like they have bung a charge on RTS for parcel post and express post according to clause 26.

Message 2 of 11
Latest reply

Dunno if this helps?
https://auspost.com.au/business-solutions/parcel-shipping-couriers/parcel-returns
*we may be human, but we are still animals*
Message 3 of 11
Latest reply

@thecatspjs wrote:

Many thanks - that's what I was looking for (but not what I wanted to find Smiley Surprised Smiley LOL ). I actually read that one a week ago but must have been suffering from selective blindness as I swear all I found was a very eBay-like "see X for more info" merry-go-round / trail. 

Pity this clause doesn't quite explain why the return charge is higher than the original charge (the article in question was an express platinum satchel, which took 2 weeks to go back to sender after being RTS, so not even an equivalent service was provided on the return to remotely justify the higher costs  Smiley Frustrated Bonus points if anyone can shed some light on that one). 

Message 4 of 11
Latest reply

ouch for the platinum express return charge ...

thank you for posting the question... its been yonks since I have perused the T&C of Aust Post ..... wonder what other T&Cs have changed, they must have snuck a few more in there I imagine.  Will have a read ..... how exciting ... not Cat Indifferent

Message 5 of 11
Latest reply

From experience, I am never charged for RTS large letter items.  I have had several over the past few months for items that have turned up after I have refunded a buyer.

Message 6 of 11
Latest reply

Fortunately, the return charges are only applicable to parcels - I suspect that there's something else governing (i.e. preventing) charges on RTS letters, otherwise I am sure they would try to recoup (or gouge Smiley LOL ) costs on that as well.

Message 7 of 11
Latest reply

I think it just depend on who is sorting out the return to sender mail.

I have had 2 parcels returned from buyers, (who wanted a refund) and they just readdressed to me stating Return to Sender, no postage was paid by them and I was not charged either

Message 8 of 11
Latest reply

I had a RTS a few months back, which was RTS from the sorting centre. Confirmed address with buyer, she stated it was correct (I sent her a photo of the addressed parcel when it arrived back.......after I got their label off it). I took it back to the PO expecting to have to pay another cost and the post master scanned it in and resent it with the same label, even though by that stage postage prices had gone up. The next week it made it to the PO and was again marked as RTS but I managed to get onto the buyer and told her to get to the PO before they sent it back again, which she did. I was not charged for any trips for that parcel except for the initial postage (neither was the buyer). I wonder who decides whether you're going to pay a RTS cost?

Message 9 of 11
Latest reply

I would welcome one. If only to see what legal basis they think they have to charge me, when the fault is most likely the intended recipient's.

Or one of their staff/contractors.

Message 10 of 11
Latest reply