About Selling an Item on ebay.

If l would like to sell items on ebay that are NOT PICKUP, but must be posted,does the Buyer have my name and address ?

I do not like "strangers" coming to my house, l would not go to their house via ebay. A Garage Sale with signs out in the street, l feel is in a different scenario. 

As l only use PayPal for accepting payments, what information does PayPal give to my buyer ?  Do they the buyer, have access to any of my Financial Information ?  Would appreciate answers from the board members, thanx.

Message 1 of 9
Latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

@country-bench wrote:

If l would like to sell items on ebay that are NOT PICKUP, but must be posted,does the Buyer have my name and address ?

I do not like "strangers" coming to my house, l would not go to their house via ebay. A Garage Sale with signs out in the street, l feel is in a different scenario. 

As l only use PayPal for accepting payments, what information does PayPal give to my buyer ?  Do they the buyer, have access to any of my Financial Information ?  Would appreciate answers from the board members, thanx.

The buyer does not have access to any of your financial information.

There is no need to accept pickups, you can list your items as postage only.    If you are truly worried you can also include in your listing the words NO PICKUP AVAILABLE.

If someone buys from you, they do have the option of obtaining your telephone number from ebay.

That being said, it is best practice to include your name and postal address on any parcel that you send - in the event that it gets lost or that Aust Post have to return it to you.    If you have a PO Box, you could use that if you don't want to put your residential address.

Message 2 of 9
Latest reply

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

You do not have to offer pickup and if a buyer ask if you will allow it you just say no.  Not difficult!!

Paypal does not give out any information to your buyers at all, except what name will show on their bank statements to identify your transactions.

Message 3 of 9
Latest reply

Hope this helps you feel better about selling, and all the best, the rest is up to you.

Good advice from established ebay members.

Message 4 of 9
Latest reply

Sorry lyndal, got my legs twisted into the same trouser leg today.  Not my day, to say the least. Should have gone to op.

Message 5 of 9
Latest reply

I am making nothing but a right royal mess of this today, going back to PJ's Gin & Tonic Diet, right now !!!!!!!!

Message 6 of 9
Latest reply

I didn't select the pick up option on my listings and a few local buyers have paid before I could offer anything like that to them, so I posted. Other buyers I have offered to meet them somewhere, like the supermarket car park or Bunnings. Somewhere neutral. I don't really want people coming to my house, so it suits me to do that. I'm only 5 minutes from both Bunnings and the supermarket. One lady I met at Officeworks because she said she'd be down there later that afternoon. That suited too as I needed to get some sticky tape!

I am meeting a man down the street this afternoon at his work place. He hasn't bought yet, but wants to inspect before he does. If he likes it, he will BIN while I'm there. That also suited me to do that as he works right next to the supermarket and I need to go there this afternoon. I'd rather take it and show him and he decide he doesn't like it, than send it to him and find out he doesn't like it and initiate a return or give me less than favourable feedback. 

I bought off a local seller a few years back and we met in the carpark. Like me, they didn't want people coming to their house. Another local seller was happy for me to go to their house and it turned out to be very convenient as he lived 6 houses away!

Some of the local buyers that I've met have been repeat buyers so it can have its advantages. I live in a rural area, so it works OK meeting people in a neutral place. May not be as easy in the city areas.

Message 7 of 9
Latest reply

imastakwa, padi, kopes, and me, myself, & l are going to have another ebay car park party. Is there a favourite car park hot spot that you have sheeps ?  because if so we could all meet you there. Have a bbq, no lamb chops allowed, or a vegetarian bbq.

padi is bringing his famous home made cordial.  Or we could follow you sheeps, from car park, to car park, till we would be car parked out.  Or padi is out of special cordial.

images (9).jpg

Message 8 of 9
Latest reply

@aussie-bazzar wrote:

imastakwa, padi, kopes, and me, myself, & l are going to have another ebay car park party. Is there a favourite car park hot spot that you have sheeps ?  because if so we could all meet you there. Have a bbq, no lamb chops allowed, or a vegetarian bbq.

padi is bringing his famous home made cordial.  Or we could follow you sheeps, from car park, to car park, till we would be car parked out.  Or padi is out of special cordial.

images (9).jpg

Ooooh, we could do a car park crawl! Bunnings car park is always good because it's next to the Homemaker Centre that also has a car park. You can weave around all the  parked cars, which would cover up the fact you've been drinking. Then we could do the rounds of the supermarket car parks, there's 5 of those here in town.

After that we could head to the Big W car park and possibly even detour via Big W to collect any eBay purchases that might be waiting for collection. Later on we could head across the road to the K-Mart car park, viathe council car park. If you want to be really bold, we could head over to the locals schools car parks too!

Special cordial, a morsel of a party pie, wagon wheels and iced vo-vo's, this car park crawl party is going to go off with a bang!

Message 9 of 9
Latest reply