Active content checking tool

I have a few questions on this subject.  

I saw a thread a while back with a link to a tool that checks all your listings at once for active content and tells you which ones need attention, but I can't find it now.  Anyone willing to share the link here please? 

Also, how important is it for listings to be mobile friendly?  The one by one tool eBay is linking to in their latest reminder seems to be telling me that all my listings (at least the couple of dozen I checked before I tired of the one at a time aproach, lol) are mobile UNFRIENDLY.  Do I need to fix this and any tips on how to?

Cheers,

Penny
Message 1 of 13
Latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

Don't know if this is the one - 

http://www.isdntek.com/ebaytools/ActiveContentScanner.htm

Or some info at the bottom of this - 

https://codisto.com/ebay-active-content-ban-2017.html

image host
Message 2 of 13
Latest reply

@pennyforum14 wrote:

Also, how important is it for listings to be mobile friendly?  The one by one tool eBay is linking to in their latest reminder seems to be telling me that all my listings (at least the couple of dozen I checked before I tired of the one at a time aproach, lol) are mobile UNFRIENDLY.  Do I need to fix this and any tips on how to?

The updates are about how the full listing description displays on mobiles, so I guess it depends on how often people look at them instead of the truncated eBay version. 

I'm slowly going through all of my listings and updating my template (I have some javascript in the old one - because I'm updating them all anyway, I've added in the codes to make rendering / display of descriptions more mobile friendly, which is just a matter of adding the codes to my new HTML template. My templates were all identical though, so I only needed to check one listing to find out what eBay didn't like, and I think I just grabbed the recommended codes from the i-ways tool after checking the listing. 

You may be able to add the codes in bulk via selling manager if your descriptions are already ok for active content, or individually just by copy / pasting the code when in the HTML editor. 

The one X I get is from using fixed width elements, which means on mobiles my listing description has to be scrolled sideways a little to see all info, but to change that would mean either ditching my template all together (not quite ready for that), or paying to have someone design a new one that ticks all the boxes (not quite rich enough for that Smiley LOL ). 

Message 3 of 13
Latest reply

@digital*ghost wrote:

The one X I get is from using fixed width elements, which means on mobiles my listing description has to be scrolled sideways a little to see all info, but to change that would mean either ditching my template all together (not quite ready for that), or paying to have someone design a new one that ticks all the boxes (not quite rich enough for that Smiley LOL ). 

I am at the exact same place ( fail due to fixed width element), however when I check my item description on a mobile phone, there is no need to scroll sideways at all.

Message 4 of 13
Latest reply

Thanks Kopes, I'll check those out.

Cheers,

Penny
Message 5 of 13
Latest reply

So the best thing to do would be to check the listings myself on a phone and see if they fit the screen?

Is this just an aesthetics thing, or will eBay pull the listings if they are not mobile friendly?

Cheers,

Penny
Message 6 of 13
Latest reply

@pennyforum14 wrote:

So the best thing to do would be to check the listings myself on a phone and see if they fit the screen?

Is this just an aesthetics thing, or will eBay pull the listings if they are not mobile friendly?

Active content is the only thing that will be blocked and may eventually result in a listing being ended. The mobile friendly stuff is more about readability, and ensuring the listing description looks good / behaves the same way, no matter what device or screen size the buyer is using. 

Message 7 of 13
Latest reply

Thanks DG, that helps a lot.

Cheers,

Penny
Message 8 of 13
Latest reply

@jfmgray wrote:

I am at the exact same place ( fail due to fixed width element), however when I check my item description on a mobile phone, there is no need to scroll sideways at all.

That is because your CD images are under 320px, however your images for "Description", "About Us" "Map Australia" etc are just over 320px.  The amount over is small so you don't readily notice the need for scrolling

---------------------------------------------------
Profanity is no substitute for wit.
Message 9 of 13
Latest reply

Hi I have just been told by eBay that all my listings will be removed, basically I will have an empty store if I don't change my listings however the lady that designed my store is no longer in business and I have no idea what to do. The only thing I know how to do I'd add photos. I am very upset and annoyed at this.

Message 10 of 13
Latest reply