Adding bank account gives ebay direct debit authority

Just fired up ebay app and saw the notice about changing payment setup. I went through the setup handing over more details to ebay until I got to the last step of adding my bank account so I can get paid. But in small print it says I am giving ebay direct debit authority to take money out of my account. Given they intent taking my sale payments and waiting two days before paying out and taking even more fees why would they need the ability to dip into my bank account? I have no interest in giving that level of access.
Message 1 of 41
Latest reply
40 REPLIES 40

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

Then you will not be able to sell on ebay.....simple really.

Message 2 of 41
Latest reply

Hi mate, its for reimbursement for disputes, fees for sales are already taken out of the transaction prior to the money arriving in your bank. Some banks also offer blocking of certain merchants for withdrawing.

Message 4 of 41
Latest reply

So now we have to wait till the payment shows up in the bank account before sending the article? How does that help for those of us promising same day handling?  It takes around 2 days for deposits to appear!

Message 5 of 41
Latest reply

@harleyriabikerpatchesoz wrote:

So now we have to wait till the payment shows up in the bank account before sending the article? How does that help for those of us promising same day handling?  It takes around 2 days for deposits to appear!

No:  you are still expected to post the item within  your handling time.  

Message 6 of 41
Latest reply

Beware ; Iโ€™m got told this morning that $150 would be taken out of my bank account! For items sold over the weekend.

What the??

The buyers have paid, but that money hasnโ€™t shown up?

eBay support have been useless.
Message 7 of 41
Latest reply

I have bad experiences with direct debit. My real estate agent forced everyone to give them direct debit access and one month they took out monthly rent 4 times in 1 week by admin error. Nearly $6000 which then took a week to get back. I never paid rent late but the new payment system was implemented to save them time supposedly.
Message 8 of 41
Latest reply

And another experience with direct debit from Vodafone. Direct debit was a condition of the contract but they suddenly started charging me for an additional phone. This went on for 6 months, every month Iโ€™d spend up to 40 minutes on the phone to a call center and they would reverse the charge and claim it was fixed. In the end it only stopped when my contract ended.
Message 9 of 41
Latest reply

I did try to find that out, but couldn't so my handling times will have to be changed and an extra note sent to buyers.
Message 10 of 41
Latest reply