Alternative Sites Report

I've had some time to experiment selling my car posters on some other selling websites over the past six months plus and here are is a quick rating summary of success for those who may be interested in exploring alternative channels, when compared to eBay and my own website:

Quicksales - 3/10

Gumtree - 7/10

SwapAce - 0/10

Swapmeet - 1/10

If anyone has any other sites they would like to summarise results for as well, please add (eg. Etsy).

Message 1 of 8
Latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Alternative Sites Report

pnc75
Community Member

Hi, what is your ebay ratio? Ta.

Message 2 of 8
Latest reply

Alternative Sites Report

They are compared to eBay which is highest, so eBay is 10.  Gumtree is at 7, etc.  Gumtree didn't used to be very useful for me but the past few months have been a turnaround.

Message 3 of 8
Latest reply

Alternative Sites Report

Do you post them out or arrange pickup?

Message 4 of 8
Latest reply

Alternative Sites Report

All shipped out via tubes across the world.

Pickups became a hassle with people changing times and dates, so stopped doing it.

Message 5 of 8
Latest reply

Alternative Sites Report

Interesting - so how do you word the listing?

Do you give a flat postage charge for domestic and international options.

I was wondering if I could get extra sales on GT, but not sure if my product would sell there.

Message 6 of 8
Latest reply

Alternative Sites Report

If anyone has any other sites they would like to summarise results for as well, please add (eg. Etsy).

I can't really give a proper rating for comparitive sake, namely because I have (a total of) about 1000 products on eBay, and only about 300 on E**y, across 2 stores, I have a lot of the same stuff between them but each one has exclusive items as well.

Plus, I don't offer my items internationally on ebay, whereas on the other site international sales make up about 80% of my orders.

So, for what it's worth, the other two stores generate about 25% or so of my total monthly sales, or for every 3 eBay sales, I get one E**y sale, which all things considered (particularly the stock discrepancy) probably makes it right on par with eBay. Maybe I'd even give them an extra point for some things I really like about that site that aren't available, or doesn't happen, here. 

Message 7 of 8
Latest reply

Alternative Sites Report

I don't mention anything about pickups.  If someone contacts and asks then I say sorry but no.

Yes, flat rate postage for domestic sales (AP's base $7.45 + $1.05 to cover eBay's fee/handling/tube) and automated different costs for different parts of the world which can vary wildly.

With Gumtree, I say the item can be purchased from my website and provide the link.

The only problem I get with Gumtree is that more cheapskates tend to contact me trying to make deals as if they are used items or postage is magically free, and I don't blame them, I use it to do the same, but for used goods.

Message 8 of 8
Latest reply