Another reason to hit your head against ebay's brick wall

Just received this email: wow wow and wow

Thank you for issuing a refund to xxxxxxxx.

Hi Jenni,

We've issued a AU $22.40 refund for Lovely Detailed Silver Pewter Finish Metal Carousal Rocking Horse Money Box to xxxxx because of your eBay auto-refund returns rule. We'll credit you the final value fee and the appropriate PayPal fee.

I did not have this activated, didn't even know about it...I eventually found the area where it was turned on, but there is no way I did that...not only that, the item is as described in the listing...this is so bad, please be careful, this was for only $22.40 but could be for anything and any amount...this was the first I heard of it, no prior notice or message, just this message...it means if the 'auto-returns' rule is turned on, sellers are at massive risk of losing a great deal of money...I have turned it off now...just a warning in case sellers have it unknowingly turned on, like I was...

Jenni

Message 1 of 12
Latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

It sounds as if the default then is auto return unless you untick that box?

That's a bit stiff. You shouldn't have to search for it in the conditions, if so, it should be on your main page.

Been a while since I sold, so i am not up with things on that front but it is useful to know, just in case.

As a matter of interest, who is paying the return postage? the buyer, I hope, as I assume it was a change of mind return?

Message 2 of 12
Latest reply

Hi Springy, it appears they keep the item, there's no sending it back at all..no wonder sellers are becoming disenchanted with eBay and their rules....imagine if that was a $300 item?  I am wondering if it is a part of the Ebay Plus rules or something! I am not a member and I am not sure if you can tell if a buyer is or not...so disappointing that eBay think they can give my money and my item away, just like that! 

I will be on the phone to them today.

this is poor performance on their part,

Jenni

Message 3 of 12
Latest reply

Sorry to hear about this and thanks for the heads up as I don't need ebay or any buyers to rip me off again.

What kind of outrageous policy is this lol,ebay needs to have a good look in the mirror as they're just prolonging dishonest buyers.

Message 4 of 12
Latest reply

It's a "rule" that you can put in place yourself by selecting what you want to do,(no initial box to tick).

https://www.ebay.com.au/help/selling/managing-returns-refunds/handling-return-requests/setting-rules...

Message 5 of 12
Latest reply

Thanks Tazz, I didn't know that even existed...well mine are turned off now, I made sure of that last night and just double checked! My sales aren't so great that I need to 'save time' by allowing this process to automatically steal my money or my item...

Have a great day.

Jenni 

Message 6 of 12
Latest reply

I believe with ebay plus, buyers may be covered for free returns but I haven't read that it means no returns required at all plus they get a refund?

I know that might happen under certain circumstances for certain items but a pewter money box doesn't seem to fit into one of those categories.

Message 7 of 12
Latest reply

At least we have the choice,(threads on the US and UK site seemed to infer that they had to opt out when it

was implemented there 2 years ago),stubborn_smiley_by_mirz123-d4bt0te_zps12f1a5a3.gif

It was mentioned that it was supposed to be an opt in system.

Message 8 of 12
Latest reply

There's something in seller hub that'll show you which orders were for ebay Plus.
Message 9 of 12
Latest reply

I didn't opt in at all...I've now opted out that's for sure!

Message 10 of 12
Latest reply